Long Loading Time For News Media Pages

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I've noticed that webpages for all the large news media (any newspaper published by the Hearst Corporation is a problem) take a very long time to load and freezes up.

The little spinning circle on the page tab just spins on and on, and quite often Internet Explorer will stop responding. I also get a message that the page is not responding due to a long running script.

I can load pages from other sites in about 2 to 3 seconds, however anything associated with the main stream news media is very sluggish and often freezes.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Switch to firefox.
Load noscript plugin.
When you get to website use noscript to activate one set of scripts at a time. Once you reach the level where website is quick enough and provides the content you want, make script permissions permanent.

"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer."

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I've noticed that webpages for all the large news media (any newspaper published by the Hearst Corporation is a problem) take a very long time to load and freezes up.

The little spinning circle on the page tab just spins on and on, and quite often Internet Explorer will stop responding. I also get a message that the page is not responding due to a long running script.

I can load pages from other sites in about 2 to 3 seconds, however anything associated with the main stream news media is very sluggish and often freezes.
Hola Glen,

In my case I am suffering again a similar problem, and again the cause is my invasive antivirus that checks everything hogging memory madly and using lot of processor capacity. Task manager allows to see it. Even if I open Firefox or copy a file from here to there.

Maybe you would not like to take the risk but if you try it withou antivirus you could see if it makes a diffeence. Every time I did that test, the PC did quite fast.

In my case it all started when I accepted to update AVG free for 2015. Not only does as described, it also keeps writing the HDD VM, to a point where I need to restart the PC.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I've been using Task Manager to monitor CPU usage and when I visit a site for any major news outlet, it will cause CPU usage to go through the roof.

It doesn't do it that much for other sites, just the sites for large news outlets.