Long hours at work

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Do you have a lot of unions or professional associations ,what would a Norway city

look like compared to a U.S. city the same size. Is life spread out as it appears

in some stories.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Do you have a lot of unions or professional associations ,what would a Norway city

look like compared to a U.S. city the same size. Is life spread out as it appears

in some stories.
A lot of unions, but no Jimmy Hoffa. We got unions for nearly all kinds of professions. :)

I guess the Norwegian capital, Oslo, is like a suburb. Approximately 500 000 habitans...

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
International companies from the the outside or Norway companies that sale

there services across the world. Like a lot of ocean platform jobs and steel

erectors. What do you insure from ,do you need a lot of insurance that you are

forced to buy.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
What do you insure from ,do you need a lot of insurance that you are forced to buy.
Not really. Health care is working in most cases. There are some glitches in the system. The insurance I have is for house (including inventory), cars and boats. If I shall travel, I get an travel insurance.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I just made post about tribal women are being flown to India to learn how to

solder curcuit boards. They teach them to solder a board and take the information

back home and show other women. The men don't do it they are like handlers to

get the work done. I was surprised to see them crossing the dersert to an airport

and sending the women off to India. They did not mention labor cost. The point is

every thing that has a curcuit board ,like all the gadgets they make,you don't know

where they are coming from,these were being made from a box of parts.

Last edited:

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Do you have any contact details? I need some slave labour to solder parts onto PCBs for me, I'll pay really really cheap. :)

Re working there's an old saying; "Nobody ever gets to the end of their life, lying in their death bed, and thinks; "I wish I had spent more time slaving away at the office"...

This is not aimed at Bill or anyone here, but too many people worship the fancy car and the fancy home and the fancy suit, and the result is they just sell their life into slavery. In many cases they could have been happy with an ok car and and ok home and an ok suit and had so much more life.

People that would gasp in horror at the thought of selling their children into slavery so they could have a fancy car never once think that they have sold *themslves* into slavery to have a fancy car. Until they finally get wise on their death bed.

Sorry to get philosophical guys, but at least it's not political. ;)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It was the hardest lesson learned in my youth. I did take time to have a family and enjoy some things, but not soon enough. Live below your means an enjoy a retirement with options.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I would like to state that work is the means for the completion of the self, but things aren't always that ideal.

Anyways, this thread isn't a rant about how the corporations abuse us. It's a thread about how Bill will be in a tight place in the near future and what we can do about this.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Do you have any contact details? I need some slave labour to solder parts onto PCBs for me, I'll pay really really cheap. :)

Re working there's an old saying; "Nobody ever gets to the end of their life, lying in their death bed, and thinks; "I wish I had spent more time slaving away at the office"...

This is not aimed at Bill or anyone here, but too many people worship the fancy car and the fancy home and the fancy suit, and the result is they just sell their life into slavery. In many cases they could have been happy with an ok car and and ok home and an ok suit and had so much more life.

People that would gasp in horror at the thought of selling their children into slavery so they could have a fancy car never once think that they have sold *themslves* into slavery to have a fancy car. Until they finally get wise on their death bed.

Sorry to get philosophical guys, but at least it's not political. ;)
Funny, I think I made the same point to them. All I want is enough money to live, and eventually retire without living in a home, and to support my electron habit.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Funny, I think I made the same point to them. All I want is enough money to live, and eventually retire without living in a home, and to support my electron habit.
And that desire on your part may or may not be aligned with their interests. In any case you need to take steps to mitigate the eventual result of this condition -- no matter which way it goes.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Don't you have overtime rules that kick in after working 44 hours?
You should be paid 1½ times the employee's regular rate of pay for working over 44 hours.
Yes past 40 hours a week overtime and holiday pay should be time x 1/2. You also get bonuses some places for Hazard pay and night shift differential. Usually a couple dollars hazard pay, and $0.50 - $1.50 night shift dif. But that being said there are about 1001 ways to get around this. If your company employees less then 16 people (No OT) If they only work 30 hours a week (NO OT NO Ben.) Just read an article on how American corporations are basically taking everyone down to 20 and 30 hours a week so they can bypass healthcare and not have to pay for obamacare or health care. Hopefully laws will be passes to stop this non sense.

Just look at the decade long numbers of Full time hires vs Part time hires. The moral of the article was get used to working 2 part time jobs instead of 1 full time job because thats where the moneys gonna be saved by the corps.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Bill ,is a very wise man,he will take a steady course that maintains his life style.

Without losing his employment,you should be careful not cause him problems by

over posting. Read some of the new H.R. books,they are using the social media

on there employee's. @ Bill ,I am sure that you will find support with your health

and job. I'm sure you love your job, your job will take care of you. Good luck with

your walking,take care of yourself.

1chance

Joined Nov 26, 2011
Yes past 40 hours a week overtime and holiday pay should be time x 1/2. You also get bonuses some places for Hazard pay and night shift differential. Usually a couple dollars hazard pay, and $0.50 - $1.50 night shift dif. But that being said there are about 1001 ways to get around this. If your company employees less then 16 people (No OT) If they only work 30 hours a week (NO OT NO Ben.) Just read an article on how American corporations are basically taking everyone down to 20 and 30 hours a week so they can bypass healthcare and not have to pay for obamacare or health care. Hopefully laws will be passes to stop this non sense.

Just look at the decade long numbers of Full time hires vs Part time hires. The moral of the article was get used to working 2 part time jobs instead of 1 full time job because thats where the moneys gonna be saved by the corps.
Along these lines, what do you think of walmart employees' attempts to organize a strike on Black Friday? Could be very interesting.:eek:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I would support it overall. The various stores are abusing their staff on much too routine a basis. But then, I will be at work. :rolleyes:

1chance

Joined Nov 26, 2011
I would support it overall. The various stores are abusing their staff on much too routine a basis. But then, I will be at work. :rolleyes:
And I will be babysitting my granddaughter as my daughter has to be at work before 5 am that day. She is one of the exploited at a different major chain.

1chance

Joined Nov 26, 2011
Target comes to mind. They really zing their employees.
Actually, it's Michael's Crafts store. Employees are never allowed more than 32 hours so they don't get full benefits. She's worked there for over 12 years (currently as the floral designer) and still doesn't earn a living wage. On the bright side, she does love her job except when she's pulled off it to cover other areas like on Black Friday.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

It isn't abuse. well at least that is not the intent. It is what needs to be done to keep prices low and remain competitive.

If you think the price of food is outrageous now, just think what it would cost if retail outlets paid full benefits and a living wage and suppliers paid the same. Many couldn't afford to feed themselves the rest would be working simply to feed themselves.

It is a rock and a hard place sort of thing.