Login NOT working!

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Hypatia's Protege, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Hypatia's Protege

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Re: The (New) login prompt screen:

1) Despite correct (and repeated) entry of 'credentials' I receive an error screen stating that 'the existing username or password is not valid" -- possible paraphrase...

2) when clicking on the 'forgot password' button I am transferred to the 'forum list page' and (sometimes) logged in!!!

Please advise ASAP!:)

At your mercy
    HP

2. Hypatia's Protege

Mar 1, 2015
    Here's the exact error message:

MOREOVER

-Logging in ALWAYS results in an error message - even when successful
    Said message being that quoted above or simply "cannot log you in"

-Logging in 'by email address' generates an exception and a 'code dump'
    The 'reason code' being 'unique email address required' even though I am LOGGING IN --*NOT* registering!!!

Ya know! There's something to be said for: "if it ain't broke DON'T FIX IT!!!":mad::mad::mad:

Popping my Alprazolam, Phenobarbital and Arsenic!:eek:

Tolerantly
    HP:)

PS:
    On a purely altruistic note: It may be advisable to 'post' a contact-email address on the login screen such that any members unable to logon have recourse to support pending resolution of the difficulty...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  3. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    I had no issue

4. jrap

Administrator

Jun 25, 2006
    I'm really sorry you are having issues.
    I think this is a bug with the ' in your username. Something I clearly hadn't tested for. I will continue debugging.

Rob

5. Hypatia's Protege

Mar 1, 2015
    I don't know what to say...

I've disabled all ad-blocking & anti-tracking plugins --- However I do not and never will use social networks!

Also, FWIW, I'm using the 'Firefox browser'

Best regards
    HP

6. Hypatia's Protege

Mar 1, 2015
    Many, many thanks!:):):)

Best regards
    HP

7. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    I am not signing in using social networks. I just use my nick and pass.
    I am using waterfox.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Just dropping by for a moment. I thought I'd do a thermodynamics post, but I forgot the specific heat of Earth atmosphere and all the Googles show kilojoules per gram Centigrade instead of BTUs per cubic foot-Fahrenheit. Probably my fault for being an American.:(

The site refused me as #12 because that is not equal to or greater than 4 characters, so I had to log in as Number Twelve...then the "online" list shows me as #12???
    Then it complains that my email address is already in use...by me, of course!
    Chasing down a few bugs, @jrap? :D

Not a problem. I can try to log in as #12 or Number Twelve as necessary. Glad I picked a name that can be spelled two ways. :p

I discovered that my health insurance pays for a gymnasium that is open 24/7 and less than 2 miles from my home. I don't pay a cent and I can get there in about 6 minutes! I am enjoying warming up the big muscles and challenging my heart/lung capacity, without risking any injury, as my back completely heals without surgery, in about one to two years. (At least that's what one doctor said.) I am at 10 months of recovery, I can walk a mile almost every day, and I don't notice the pain. Probably a combination of healing and getting used to it. I can locate some pain if I, "take inventory" but I don't notice it if I don't look for it. Color me happy! :)

Number Twelve

9. Hypatia's Protege

Mar 1, 2015
    Indeed the site does not allow 'logging in by email address' on the grounds that the address is not 'unique' -- IOW the software 'thinks' you are attempting to register when logging in by your email addy:rolleyes:
    As regards your user name, if the length didn't 'get you' the octothorp probably would (even as the apostrophe in my username complicates my login process)

It seems that "invalid" usernames 'silently' log on despite the appearance of the 'orange screen of death' -- ergo it is my guess that you were already logged on as '#12' when you attempted "Number Twelve"...

Well Hey!:D --- Very pleased to learn things are going well for you! --- Please keep in touch!:)

Best regards
    HP:)

#12 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Yes on the silent log-in. All I have to do when the objection page comes up is refresh the page with my shortcut to AAC, and I find that I'm "in". The demand that I change my log-in name to a longer version is repeatedly refused because my email address is already in use by #12. More work for @jrap :( Please tell the website to quit complaining about my moniker and then complaining that it already knows my email address. :mad:

ps, I have never tried logging in with an email address because I believe my email is a privacy matter, not to be flaunted as a log-in. (This is one of very few sites that even HAS one of my my real email addresses!)

Still mulling over the seemingly universal labeling of specific heat of air in joules per gram Centigrade. If those Physics guys ever install a fan that moves cubic feet per minute, the conversion factors will be beastly! :D

Hmmm...octothorp...Is this the real name of that symbol commonly referred to as, hashtag, tic-tac-toe box, criss-cross box, or, "number symbol"? Thanks for the vocabulary lesson, but I fear that makes two of us who know that word. :rolleyes:

:D

I'm off to the 24 hour gymnasium at 3 am. Very convenient!

Number Twelve

Hypatia's Protege and killivolt like this.
  11. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    @#12: Good news: your back!
    More good news: you're back?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    #12 and Georacer like this.
  12. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    You know it's a good forum when people know the difference between "your" and "you're", and on top of it make pun on it!

cmartinez and #12 like this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Not so much "back" as still a bit curious. I lurk occasionally, but I see questions that several people here can answer well without any help from me, questions that are outside my abilities to answer, and the usual littering of fantasy ideas that will never get built and requests to duplicate what is already available as a finished product.

I used to sit down at AAC with a mentality like an employee. "I will do my best to answer every question that I know about and maybe reassure people that won't get an answer until tomorrow when the smart guys wake up." Right now, I'm a bit of a burn-out. :(

I saw a thermodynamics question that needed a quantification, but I failed, so I checked out the new website features, adjusted a few options, and changed it back to blue. I do not intend to log in with my morning coffee and suddenly realize I've been at this for 6 hours. I merely stopped by to check the new layout and reported on the log-in difficulties associated with my odd user name. I might enjoy some off-topic banter, but I don't intend to be a driving force on this forum like I used to be.

Number Twelve

14. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    It is addictive. I backed off helping people during my troubles, but now and again the bug bites.

#12 likes this.
  15. ebeowulf17

Aug 12, 2014
    Interesting perspective. I'm addicted to this site too, but in a fun, learning new things way. I had noticed that you and several others are here a lot and provide tons of help, but it never occurred to me that it begins to feel like a responsibility and not just something fun. I'm sorry to hear that. For what it's worth, I really appreciate the great help that you and several others provide on these forums. There are a small number of you who are responsible for a large chunk of my current understanding of electronics. Thank you!

Also interesting to hear you say that you would often keep quiet waiting for more knowledgeable people to come along. I have a habit of using this forum like a classroom where I can try suggesting possible answers to other people's questions (always with a disclaimer about my uncertainty) and then hear what the experts say in response. On the one hand, I feel like I learn a lot by jumping in, floating ideas ou there, and then learning from the responses. On the other hand I worry that my often-wrong answers might lead others astray, despite my disclaimers. Hearing someone as knowledgeable as you talk about staying quiet makes me wonder if I should do a lot less guessing out loud here.

Anyway, back to my main point, thanks for all the time you have spent helping people here, but definitely stay away as much as you need to - I'd hate for something as fun as electronics to be dragged down by some sense of responsibility or having too much to keep up with here.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Nobody can know everything. There are several fields of electronics where I should not pee in the conversation. Learning my limitations has done wonders at reducing my embarrassment and making me look smarter than I really am. :D

cmartinez likes this.
  17. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    I work the other way around... sometimes I let people think I'm not so smart or knowledgeable... that way if I stick my foot in it, then there's barely any embarrassment to be suffered... and when I do get things right there's congratulations all around... nothing beats a humble attitude... IMHO... :D

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    That's how I work in public. Better to keep my mouth shut and let people think I'm stupid than to open it and remove their doubts. :rolleyes:

On AAC, trying to be as helpful as I can reveals my abilities. Half the people here aren't as far into my specialties as I am, so half the time I appear to be smart. ;)

cmartinez likes this.
  19. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    I'm experiencing the same problem. It's only been happening since i started using Google+ to log in. Deleting cookies from the AAC website seemed to fix the problem in Firefox, but not in Chrome.

20. Hypatia's Protege

Mar 1, 2015
    FWIW, In my case the trouble was down to the apostrophe in my username -- @jrap made some adjustments to the code -- now all is good!:cool: --- That said, I always login 'manually' - perhaps you might try PMing an administrator?

Best regards and good luck!:)
    HP