LogicWorks Polynomial Comparator Help

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by dbossnirvana, Dec 22, 2010.

1. dbossnirvana

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Hello,

I'm fairly new in using LogicWorks (took a seminar about a week ago about its functionalities) and I have been given an assignment in which I have to compare the results of two polynomials f(x,y,z) = (x-y)(x-z) g(x)= x^2-2x-3 and display its "error" on a 7-segment LED (as well as its inputs x,y,z on seperate 7-segment LEDs).

That said, I'm having trouble in how to start. I know much of the theoretical concepts, but I'm no sure how to apply it. For instance, do I have to create multipliers to express the function x^2 coupled with subtractors for the other terms in the function g(x)? And for the three input function, f(x,y,z), would mean that I have to make the inputs of x and y to go through a subtractor then use a multiplier to adjoin the outputs of (x-z) with (x-y). Is this a correct train of thought to follow to make this assignment?

Thanks in advance.

2. dbossnirvana

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Well here's what I did, and it worked!

I used a series of subtractors to express (x-y) and (x-z). Since it's the same variable x for each function I connected the same switches for both funtions. I used the output of each individual function and redirected them to a custom multiplier, therefore outputting the product of both functions. It works for only two bit binary digits though. I'm still stumped as to how to display the inputs x,y,z in a 7-segment LED display. Dunno how to even start, or how to make it in LogicWorks.

Is there anyone who has a remote idea of what to do??