Logic puzzles

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
then maybe he got an unbearable craving for human flesh and decided to kill himself in madness (wont know until i get to eat one)
coming to a restaurant near you :D

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
u might want to post a better clue.

here is a guess.

the idiot realized there were albatross on the island and he didnt really have to kill his crew members.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I've come late to the show (again!) so would like to clarify one point: the sailor was shipwrecked previously and was involved in eating one of his fella shipmates (he's a cannibal), and then he goes into the restaurant, eats the albatross and goes crazy? If so, I am confused.

Now if that's wrong, could he have not been involved in a cannibal action, the albatross ate some of his shipmates, and he has gone and eaten the albatross knowing that he is partially eating one of his shipmates - if you know what I mean?

If I am well off course here, then it looks like I will be leaving the show early! :D

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
We all agree the sailor ate one of his shipmates. The hint here is, did he do that willingly? This is where the albatross came in ;)
Ok, so am I right in saying: the albatross ate some of his shipmates, and he has gone and eaten the albatross knowing that he is partially eating one of his shipmates? This way he is a cannibal, but unwillingly...

Dave

gbm46

Joined May 6, 2007
Imagine this: You are shipwrecked on an island. After a few days you start to get hungry. A fellow crew member says he has caught an albatross and shares the meat with you, which you greedily devour.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
Where does the cannibal bit come in then?

Dave
well he wasnt stuck there for just one dinner.he killed the guy and kept in his refrigerator for future dining :D

is it possible that he unknowingly ate the apparent albatross.
which might have been a human .this the person realizes after eating a real albatross and knowing that it tastes different.

gbm46

Joined May 6, 2007
ok what about this, its a coulogic-puzzlegh I cant solve:
A perpendicular circular column has a variable cross-section A(x). At the top of the column, the cross section is A0. The column is loaded by its own weight (specific weight γ) and by a body with the weight G ~= 0 that is lying on top of the column. Which function A(x) fulfills the condition that the stress σ independent of x has the constant value σ0? The x− coordinate is 0 at the top and L at the bottom.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
ok before attempting the above one:
something i wud like to point out.

this
Does it have something to do with previous unintended cannibalism?
this
Originally Posted by gbm46 View Post
no, he did. They were delicious.
... and didn't taste like an albatross at all
and this
We all agree the sailor ate one of his shipmates. The hint here is, did he do that willingly? This is where the albatross came in
and have a look at the answer,
nice playing along mr n9352527,
watching me make a complete fool of myself,
u must consider working for cia part-time.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
before i start solving this i have some queries since i didnt understand the question correctly.
is the weight(G) at top zero (then why shud it be even given in problem)
what is σ0 is it stress at starting point?
wud it not be zero since at top no weight is placed or is the column hung from top point.

edit: i have reached a differential equation whose solution i havent found out yet,(since i need some brushing on c.f and p.i or some other easier concepts)
tell me before i work that one out is it anywhere near the answer.

A(x) = σ0.{G + [integ(A(x) over 0 to x)]γ }

i haven't given much thought to it but according to my rough calculations this is the answer which if possible can give the final answer with the use of differential equations. anyone out there who can solve this for me,i will have to do some recalling of formulae for this one.
is there someway to visualize the graph of A(x) or more importantly sqrt(A(x)) Vs x this way we wud be able the shape of the column by above formula.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
the puzzle isnt solved yet,
why wud a fellow crew member ever deceive him in such a way.
did he want a partner in crime.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
the puzzle isnt solved yet,
why wud a fellow crew member ever deceive him in such a way.
did he want a partner in crime.
Perhaps his fellow crew member was a closet-cannibal and wanted to test the waters (for want of a better expression) for a feast partner :D

We're well off topic here!

Dave

gbm46

Joined May 6, 2007
oh thanks very much for trying the next one recca, but I dont know the method to get the answer because it was in some practice questions for my course which I didnt try very hard at. Not really a logic puzzle as such. I was being sneaky you see ;) . I appreciate your efforts though.

Solution: A(x) = A0 e^(γx/|σ0|) with A0=G/|σ0| apparently.