Logic puzzles

gbm46

Joined May 6, 2007
Ok next. This time no hints (this one didnt have an answer next to it). I will try and solve this myself at the same time.

Logician: Are you both knights?
John answers either Yes or No, but the Logician does not have enough information to solve the problem.
Logician: Are you both knaves?
John answers either Yes or No, and the Logician can now solve the problem.

Who is who?
Oh, knights always tell the truth, and knaves always lie.

BladeSabre

Joined Aug 11, 2005
Are we saying that the logician is addressing two people, one of whom is called John, and each of these two people must be a knight or a knave?

EDIT:On that assumption, I make it that if he answers "yes, no" then they can either be both knights or both knaves (so that can't be what happened in the story). If he answers "no" twice then he's a knight and his partner is a knave. If he answers "yes" twice then he's a knave and his partner is a knight. ("No, yes" can't occur.) But we still don't know who's who, so something's not right here.

gbm46

Joined May 6, 2007
Your guess is as good as mine (actually probably better to be honest) maybe this has no unique solution. Or else maybe there is another constraint. Bad example. It was from here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_%26_knaves

Ok then moving on. This one is a bit different, a bit more guesswork:

A man walks past a restaurant and see that albatross is on the menu so he decides to go in and have some. After taking one bite he walks outside and jumps in front of a bus. Why?

Of course more information is needed to solve this so you may ask yes/no A/B/C/D? type questions.

I will tell you that the man is an ex-sailor.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
did he find out that there was something disgusting with the albatross and after
having taken a bite he thought of killing himself?
u shud at east specify the field of guesswork else i m quite notorious when it comes to guessworks.
is it possible that the albatross was the sailor's friend/lover turned due to a curse after realising this the sailor committed suicide.(see i warned u)

gbm46

Joined May 6, 2007
Dave: I dont know of such a rhyme so probably not.

recca: 1, no - nothing inedible/disgusting about the albatross
2, no, man has never had any albatross friends or friends that are now albatri.

You will most likely need to ask questions to learn more about the mans's history to be able to solve this. The answer makes sense but it's a pretty random thing to be able to guess without more information.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
try googling "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" its a good poem/rhyme/hymn/story
and is fairly long and seems like it cud have some relation with the puzzle.

another useless post:
if u r a proud(proud to the point of madness) man and go in the restaurant with your friend/girlfriend what wud u do if u suddenly realized after having a bite that u dont have money to pay for the bill.

gbm46

Joined May 6, 2007
Oh, ok, no its not related to the Rime. hint: the albatross could have just have easily been a goat or boar or something - in fact these other two probably make more sense.

The man was alone. (Think about mans past history, why after eating goat/boar/albatross would he want to jump in front of a bus?)

the man was an ex-sailor

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
i was thinking abt this before too but cant really point it out,
i believe it was habitual for the person due to his job to jump in some place after having a good meal. dont know much abt sailors (popeye is the only sailorman i know and he ate spinach :) )

gbm46

Joined May 6, 2007
'Jumped in front of a bus' could have also been 'shot himself in the head' or 'ate a ton of bananas in an hour and hence died from radiation poisoning'

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
I'll keep quiet then, let recca have a go first. I like reading his imaginative answers :D
well,
i m running out of options here,
with the previous lead(u'r guesses are impeccable arent they?)
i cant even think what cannibalism has to do over here,
so on a heavy public demand another wild guess(if only alfred hitchcok cud read this)
the person was left stranded on an island with his crew members after a possible shipwreck,
due to lack of food ......yeah the disgusting option.
so after the sailor somehow managed to survive,
he went to a restaurant to get a change of taste but he cud not live with himself and decided to end his life.
moral: fishing is always a better option than eating your kind.