Logic glitch on Oscilloscope or Logic Monitors

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Calton57, May 5, 2015.

1. Calton57

Thread Starter Member

May 4, 2015
    How do you set up an oscilloscope to capture a logic glitch?

I have to use single shot on the oscilloscope but what do I connect to the external input on the Oscope to?

I'm using Oscope Ch#1 to probe around the circuit boards on each IC TTL/CMOS logic chips. But I'm not sure what to connect the external input on the oscope to trigger off of. What can I use to trigger off of to use the external input?

Some Logic Monitors have a latch button that can capture logic glitches. Most Logic monitors don't have this latch option. How would I be able to modify a logic monitor to have the latch option?

I read in a 70's electronic book is to use several logic monitors set to latch when you're trying to find a logic glitch in one of the IC chips.

It says to disconnect the crystal or clock circuit and just use a jumper wire and touch the Microcontrollers clock input pin to +5 volts VCC to step through the cycles of the program.

2. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Basically, you use the signal that triggers the glitch as an external trigger. Need more information.

3. Calton57

Thread Starter Member

May 4, 2015
    But I'm not sure which logic TTL/CMOS chip is causing the glitch. I'm hunting to find the logic glitch

How do you step through the ROM program? do you disconnect the crystal oscillator?

4. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Can't say without more info. Post a schematic and whatever info you have on the glitch.

5. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    Are you driving a small board on the ocean again, how is the view, what kind of the tree to made that board, where is the destination?

6. Calton57

Thread Starter Member

May 4, 2015
    If you guys had a TTL/CMOS logic board that has a glitch, how would you set up the oscope to capture the glitch?

Just for a general setup for capturing logic glitches

7. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    Who you asked for?
    If you do this for yourself then attach the photo for your O'scope and TTL/CMOS logic board, you also name the brand and type.

DickCappels likes this.