Logic Gates?

infinitig35

Joined Mar 3, 2008
If the S & R inputs are fed into (AND) gates with a clock input controlling the gating of each, then it is a synchronous system and not combinatorial. The answer is probably "synchronous pulse" or some version thereof, such as "pulse synchronizing".

This can be used in large digital systems where all gates are to switch states effectively in unison (although today it's not the best way).

The instructor's ambiguity in the question leaves a lot to be desired. I guess that's why you have to attend class.
Yeah, I think that's the answer. He said pulse is part of the answer.

nomurphy

Joined Aug 8, 2005
I have come across asynchronous pulse logic in papers, but not synchronous pulse logic (thats not to say it doesn't exist). From the level of the question, I struggle to see that the tutor would have covered this. Sounds like banging a few words into Google and seeing what comes out.

For all intents purposes, the description you reference from the OP sounds like a gated SR latch: http://sub.allaboutcircuits.com/images/04178.png

Dave

Dave, the reference you gave is accurate. What is meant by "synchronous" is that the S and R inputs are set, and then the E clock comes along and causes all 100 (large system) of these circuits to switch at the same time -- or synchronously.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Dave, the reference you gave is accurate. What is meant by "synchronous" is that the S and R inputs are set, and then the E clock comes along and causes all 100 (large system) of these circuits to switch at the same time -- or sychronously.
Then I concur that "pulse (via the clock) synchronised" is the answer. We'd have never got that without all the clues! :D

Dave