Logic gates 2 AND & 1 OR with diodes.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The drawing you've indicated that the professor gave you, is that a picture of the drawing or your "creation" of the picture?

If it's your creation, take a picture of the paper the professor gave you. If the professor emailed you a picture, post that picture.

Your truth table is consistent with the drawing of the logic gates.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
You ignored my suggestion that the logic network can be simplified before you try to implement it in hardware.
I don't think the professor wants a simplified version, as illustrated by the "diagram" given. He could go that route and just tell the professor to "stick it" and get rewarded with a low grade.

I'm sure that as an academic, you may have some problems that can be simplified but you want the student to work through them in the assigned manner, and you'd have a pretty good reason for it. If this were a "project", I'd be right there with you telling them it's pretty stupid not to simplify.

I may not agree with this assignment, but, we should honor the professor's direction, as that is what's important to the OP. Solving it and then demonstrating that it's better to "simplify" it in the report would show the professor two things.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Oh, and by the way, you can see by inspection that the ones in your truth table occur when Sw1 and Sw2 are closed, independent of Sw3, in other words Sw3 is a DontCare

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
As a retired university professor, I would reward a student that points out that there is a better way to solve the problem. In this case, the student should however say that he/she asked for help, and received a suggestion from another professor that the problem could be simplified...

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Uh, guys... it seems like everyone is going out of their way to just give the OP a finished solution. Shouldn't the OP need to do SOME of the work?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
As a retired university professor, I would reward a student that points out that there is a better way to solve the problem. In this case, the student should however say that he/she asked for help, and received a suggestion from another professor that the problem could be simplified...
Your not his professor and just because you would do something, does not mean he would get credit for it. I recommended that he could add the simplification to his report and if the professor agrees he went beyond the immediate question, the professor is capable of deciding on how to reward such behavior.

We don't even know which school he is attending, and certainly don't have access to the course syllabus.

Without any additional feedback from the OP, we are adrift. We could carry on offline, as to not "give" the OP answer without the normal payment of sweat equity.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
It wouldn't, i need to design a working logic gates circuit with diodes, 2 AND & 1 OR, and for working i mean that it's response according to what switches are closed and what switches are on needs to match this truth table.

Vout 0 means the led should stay off, Vout 1 means the led should light up.

0 for switches mean it's open, 1 means it's closed.
I probably should stay out of this, because I have the least formal training of anyone here. But, isn't it true that a floating input on a diode-resistor AND gate is equivalent to a logic high, and isn't that germane to this design? In other words, an open switch doesn't equate to a logic 0 on the input to a diode-resistor AND gate unless the input has a pulldown resistor. Or, am I wrong? (I am trying to learn something, too. :) )

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I probably should stay out of this, because I have the least formal training of anyone here. But, isn't it true that a floating input on a diode-resistor AND gate is equivalent to a logic high, and isn't that germane to this design? In other words, an open switch doesn't equate to a logic 0 on the input to a diode-resistor AND gate unless the input has a pulldown resistor. Or, am I wrong? (I am trying to learn something, too. :) )
Think of the logic happening as a function of steering current through the diodes, not as voltage levels at the various nodes.

Richjtf

Joined Oct 12, 2013
That is a picture of the diagram the professor gave me, he said i should build it with diodes, it's fun though how at my school they first ask you to design a certain circuit, then afterwards teach you how to do it. I have cero knowledge as for now of how to design this i'm talking about calculus, formulas, etc. I'm just trying to design it by eye on my protoboard/simulator and see what works and what doesn't.

I need to learn about this without my professors help, he only gives me little pieces of advise that aren't really helping much, lol. This is worth 7% of my course.

If i could use integrated circuits this would be a piece of cake, but i have to use diodes, resistances, and switches.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
When you using two stages of DR logic, you have to care about the input voltage level and the voltage divider affected when you adding any resistor to the input side to pull down or pull up.

When you could overcome the voltage divider affected then you can using the DR logic circuit more easily.

In the real world, if you using two stages of DR logic and connecting to TTL or CMOS that it could bring the trouble to you, because you didn't make the Rules.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
First build a circuit that lights an LED using the power supply, a resistor, and the LED (with the LED connected to ground).

What happens if you use a diode to shunt current around the LED?

Can you see how to use a diode and a resistor to make that shunting happen?

Can you see how to use a switch to control whether that shunting happens in such a way that the shunting happens if the switch is open and does not happen if the switch is closed?

Can you see how to add a second set of diode/resistor/switch to result in the shunting happening if either switch is open?