Logic Design and NAND implementation

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Karamelg1, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Karamelg1

Thread Starter Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Hi - I am currently taking a logic design class. I have several circuits that I need to change to a NAND implementation or a NOR implementation. These circuits start in an AND-OR type setup. I understand that I can replace all the AND and OR gates with a NAND gate, but what I don't understand is, do I also switch NOT gates to a NAND gate as well? What exactly do I do with the NOT gate aspect of the circuit when converting it? I have looked through many examples and I can't really find an example of what I am looking for. If anyone could help I would appreciate it. Thanks!

2. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Take a look at the Logic gates tutorial here at AAC. See it that helps you overcome your dilemna.

hgmjr

3. Karamelg1

Thread Starter Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Okay - it looks to me on the tutorial that you do substitute a NOT gate for a NAND gate or a NOR gate. Thank you for your help.

4. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    You can create a NOT gate from a 2-input NAND or NOR gate by tying the two inputs together.

Dave

5. Karamelg1

Thread Starter Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Good, thats exactly what I am doing. Thanks for your help. :)

6. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Just so you know, when you are looking at doing NAND or NOR level implementations, your biggest friends are DeMorgan's Theorums. If you've any further questions, feel free to ask.

Dave