Logic controlled bipolar switch

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by mikep56, Aug 25, 2011.

1. mikep56

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Hi All,
    I am looking for a simple schematic of an electronic switch. This switch will be driven from a TTL level signal. The output of the switch will be +5 and -5, depending on the input level.
    I have used this before, but I do not remember the exact details. I think that it had an NPN and a PNP transistor with the emitters connected, and the +5 fed to the NPN collector through a resistor, and the -5 fed to the PNP collecctor through a resistor. The tied emitters is the switched voltage point.
    Thanks for any help on this.
    Regards,
    mike

2. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    Do you mean a level shifter?

1. What's the output voltage for 0V input? -5V?
    2. Whhat's the output voltage for 5V input? +5V?

Or is there any reason to call the circuit a "switch"?

3. mikep56

Feb 27, 2009
    Hi praondevou,
    For 0V in the output is -5V, for +5V in the output is +5V. So it level shifts a logic 0 to -5V and a logic 1 to +5V.
    I guess I mean a level shifter.

Regards,
    Mike

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    I'd posted something like this before; it's pretty simple, just five resistors and a couple of transistors.

As shown, it'll be able to source current from +5v pretty well, but depending on your application, you might require more current sinking down to -5v. If your load is light, this should work fine.

mikep56 likes this.
  5. mikep56

Feb 27, 2009
    Hi SgtWookie,
    Thanks for the circuit diagram. It will be used to drive a '4066 analog switch, so the current draw is minimal. As I said in previous posts, it will take a logic 0 and output -5V, and a logic 1 and output +5V; to drive the switch inputs of a '4066.
    Thanks again for all the feedback.
    Regards,
    mike

6. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
  7. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Ahh, I see. Yes, it'll work fine for that.

If you are switching audio, you may wish to slow the transition down quite a bit to avoid "popping" noises. If the 4066 inputs change slowly, they'll go through a resistive state rather than a fast switch from one state to the other; giving the voltage levels on either side of the switched points more time to equalize.

8. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Hi John,
    Our OP is probably using the 4066 for switching audio in a preamp or something similar. It's pretty usual for such audio amps to have bipolar supplies. If they simply used ground and +5v for the 4066, the lower half of the waveform would be lost.

They're probably controlling the 4066 using a microcontroller or other logic level device; so they needed an interface between the different logic levels.

9. mikep56

Feb 27, 2009
    Hi Sgt Wookie and John P,
    Actually the '4066 will run with +- supplies, and will have faster switching times and a higher off resistance. It gets closer to simulating an electronic relay.
    I am using it to switch low level analog voltages.
    Regards,
    mike