Logic circuit design

erasm

Joined Aug 21, 2009
I need a solution to this problem question so i can understand it. I suspect the solution makes use of XOR. The figure is just 7 segments making an 8 symbol.

The figure above shows a 7 segment display often used in electronic circuits. Each segment consists
of a light emitting diode (LED) which may be turned on independantly of all the other segments.
The segments are designated letters as shown. To display numbers on the device the correct display
segments must be turned on.
The display is to be used as the digits in an electronic speedometer in the latest Holden. Four wires
(labelled A, B, C, D where A is the msb) carry a 4 bit BCD from the cars computer to each
display. To convert from the 4 bit BCD we require a BCD to 7 segment circuit. Design the logic
circuit required for each segment.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Write down which LEDs you want to light for each segment, make a truth table and then use SOP or POS to make the circuit. If you want use K-maps or other methods to simplify the circuit.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
As mik3 has pointed out, you can organize your attack on this problem using a truth table together with sum-of-products (SOP) and product-of-sums (POS). Here is a link to some material in the AAC ebook that would be good to review along with other chapters in the Digital Section of the ebook.

Take a stab at the truth table and then post your effort here. Our members can then assist you.

hgmjr