Locked ATMEGA8

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by allahjane, Dec 15, 2012.

1. allahjane

allahjane Thread Starter Member

hello there

I have a ATMEGA8 that I flashed with a AVR programmer. I think I messed up some of the Fuse bits unintentionally .

Now the the code I had flashed runs fine (without any external crystals) but I cannot re-flash (reprogram) the that microcontroller.
    the programmer just refuses to identify anything is in its socket!

No, the programmer is okay as it can program other MCUs.

I am assuming I may disable the Serial programming interface of the MCU

If you think there could be some other problem please notify me.

is there anyway i can re-program the MCU to be used again?
  2. MrChips

MrChips Moderator Staff Member

The short answer is NO.
  3. bug13

bug13 Active Member

Try high voltage programming, but if you don't have the high voltage programmer easily available, I would just buy another chip.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmel_AVR
  4. hgmjr

hgmjr Moderator Staff Member

I agree with bug13. I have experienced the occasional setting of a fuse that rendered the AVR that I was using to become temporarily unprogrammable. The high voltage parallel programming (HVPP) approach has always allowed me to recover.

hgmjr