Location, Location

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by ifixit, May 11, 2011.

1. ifixit

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Dear Dave and/or moderator,

When answering questions in posts I find the need to know where in the world the OP lives, a necessary requirement. The problem is they seem to be, to lazy, or just don't see how important it is, to enter this information when they sign up as a new member.

Would it be possible to make it mandatory for new members to enter a location when they sign up to AAC? Just the country would likely be enough.

Regards,
    Ifixit

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Whilst I tend to agree, there is another side. Many people here are from nations that are not viewed kindly by other countries. It seems a reasonable concern that they feel people hate or dispise them purely on the basis of nationality. I have not seen that at this site, but that doesn't mean their fears are not justified. The simple fact is many people do view folks from certain countries in another light.

Me, I just ask where they are from, if they don't want to answer they pay the price in inadaquate answers.

3. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Well, they can always lie.

If we made it mandatory to supply A location, people who dont care about the politics of it all will just enter their location.

If they are one of the worry-warts, they can enter "Moon", or "Earth" or "Paradise" ;)

Make the LOCATION a required input UNLESS a radio button or check-box to "opt-out" of providing a location.

4. ifixit

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Nov 20, 2008
    retched
    Yes, it might help if it was a little more difficult to ignore, or skip over the location field. I think alot of applicants are just in a hurry and don't realize the benefits of providing a location. Perhaps some words in a "pop-up" could be added around the entry field that explain why a location should be entered, but then provide a way to proceed without the info.

Bill
    Good point. Ask is what I do also... and I guess what I will have to continue to do.

You got me thinking tho, suppose a poster has a question about; hall-effect sensors, IR proximity detectors, RF remote control, and there location shows as; Kabul, Afghanistan. I would not provide help to this person. Would I be discriminating? Would the moderators close the thread?

5. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    People can be blown up in ANY city in the world.

There will also be inquisitive-types who want to better themselves in every city of the world.

Now, if it were, "teach me how to light an electronic match with a cellphone call"

I would not even finish reading it, let alone help!