Local polling place changed to local "outlet"/store of major corporate company. Is this normal?

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
Location - SE PA.
I was kind of concerned when I was told that the new polling place for township elections was going to be the store/business of a major national/international company. I see a few issues with this, especially if I was their competitor (nationally and locally).

Is this type of thing normal and are there regulations against such things?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You wonder about putting polls in a business? Someplace wanted to put them in police stations.
Yeah, right. Got any unpaid tickets? Go vote, and bring bail money!:D

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
You wonder about putting polls in a business? Someplace wanted to put them in police stations.
Kind of like local police calling and telling people with warrants (you've been nominated as the recipient of the XYZ award and have a prize of $500 awaiting you for pickup at...).

I definitely understand questioning the proposed location in your post. I'm just thinking if sayAT&T wanted to be a polling place. Would Verizon be upset? How about a local Ford dealership. What about Chevy, Honda, VW, etc? It is kind of free advertising in a way.

What is odd is the old location is still there, and is a trade/labor/contractors organization. Inside they had info that was relevant to probably most people who work in the US as they had displays of A LOT of government publications (pamphlets, flyers, etc) and it seemed a lot of people would stand around and browse while waiting or afterwards. Now they can't see what they can buy I guess.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Location - SE PA.
I was kind of concerned when I was told that the new polling place for township elections was going to be the store/business of a major national/international company. I see a few issues with this, especially if I was their competitor (nationally and locally).

Is this type of thing normal and are there regulations against such things?
Is this some type of misunderstanding?. Do you have a link that announces this new poling place?

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
Is this some type of misunderstanding?. Do you have a link that announces this new poling place?
Well, I thought that too. I read a comment in a news paper article that I thought was a joke but then followed a link to it and it seems true as it's listed on the state site. A car dealership, a tractor (farm & home) farm equip dealership and a golf course.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'd be a lot more worried about this:
http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/concern-grows-over-soros-linked-voting-machines/

"Leaked emails courtesy of WikiLeaks have shed further light on the deeply incestuous relationship between Soros and high-level Democratic Party players. The discovery that a man who may have provided voting equipment to 16 states is tied directly to the man who has given millions of dollars to the Clinton campaign and various progressive and globalist causes will surely leave a bad taste in many voters’ mouths."​

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Around here they put them in schools that way those who are afraid of being educated stay away and don't vote. ;)

Our state is well ran so apparently it's working! :D

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I'd be a lot more worried about this:
http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/concern-grows-over-soros-linked-voting-machines/

"Leaked emails courtesy of WikiLeaks have shed further light on the deeply incestuous relationship between Soros and high-level Democratic Party players. The discovery that a man who may have provided voting equipment to 16 states is tied directly to the man who has given millions of dollars to the Clinton campaign and various progressive and globalist causes will surely leave a bad taste in many voters’ mouths."​
http://www.snopes.com/george-soros-controls-smartmatic-voting-machines-in-16-states/

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I know that the court house and the public library had early voting at their locations, only because I've been to both. The library when I actually voted yesterday, and the court house when I reported for jury duty today.

In the past, I voted in schools, county buildings, and mostly by absentee ballot.

I think the poll locations should be as neutral as possible. Union halls and for profit venues should not be one of them.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Oh, I wanted this story to be true. I was running out of conversation for the line at the sandwich vending machine at the factory.
Yeah, I don't know where they come from. It seems like it would be as hard to make up as a new joke. :rolleyes:
Here in Arizona they are about to vote on legalizing marijuana. There are a ton of anti ads based on my home state of Colorado. Some examples:
Colorado teen usage is #1 in the country. Yep, up by 0.1% from the year before legalization but 2% lower than the prior year. A statistical tie with RI and Vermont.
50% of babies tested in one Colorado hospital tested positive for marijuana. Also true, but they only test when they suspect drugs (any drugs). Only a few percent of the babies born are tested.
No money has made it to the class rooms. The money is ear marked for capital improvements, not class rooms.
67% increase in fatal accidents involving marijuana. I can't remember the exact numbers, but not many involved marijuana and those that did have no indication that marijuana caused the accident. It's like testing your congregation before and after legalization and concluding marijuana makes you more religious.:D There are more, but you get the idea. If you say it enough people start to believe it.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
No money has made it to the class rooms. The money is ear marked for capital improvements, not class rooms.
Like all governments, monies are deposited in the treasury where the political animals spend it according to the "will of the people" ... or more likely ... to the constituents who will keep the animal in office, aka "bring home the bacon."

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
Looks like if it meets the requirements anyplace is okay.
https://www.eac.gov/assets/1/workflow_staging/Page/266.PDF
Well, I'm not sure what all the distracting comments are that are so off topic that I can't even begin to correlate how they ended up in the thread, I'll repost the question.

Is it abnormal to have a polling place at a business that is a major corporate company's local location, such as a car dealership?

for those that want to distract by stating "well it could be this, or that (church was an example given)", well that wasn't what was asked.

The Election Assistance Commission states the following in the PDF listed in one of the above posts:
The guidelines stated that

Types of buildings to consider using as Vote
Centers include:
Shopping Malls
Grocery Stores
Community Centers
Large meeting rooms, i.e. public library, city/county
government buildings, etc.
Gymnasiums

Election Day polling places should be selected
based on location within the neighborhood served
by the polling place.

Types of buildings to consider for possible use
as precinct-specific or consolidated polling places
include:
Church activity and/or community rooms
School meeting rooms and gymnasiums, etc.
VFW, American Legion and/or Masonic Lodge
activity rooms
City/county government meeting rooms
Apartment clubhouses
Country Club meeting rooms
National Guard and other training centers
Retirement building meeting rooms
Area business meeting rooms
Individual homes—often garages are used

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
I've been reading that votes for republicans are actually being switched to democrats due to "calibration errors" in the touch screen machines and that unless you double (triple) check how your vote is logged, you may be voting for a party you did not intend to.
Personally, I find the explanation that it is due to a "calibration error" highly suspect, but hey, I'm probably paranoid! lol.
I live in the U.K and would NEVER accept any other way of voting other than a paper vote, and unless someone destroys my ballot paper, I'm reasonably sure it is counted correctly.
Electronic voting, postal voting??? far too easy to be corrupted. Just think of the fun the Nazi's would have have with those systems!!!
Oh WOW! I must be a conspiracist!!!!

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
On another voting development that isn't getting much coverage, yet. The Donald is pressing for his people to "poll watch". The GOP is freaking out over it. They have been under a "consent decree" set to expire in Dec 2017, that keeps them from "poll watching". If they get caught doing it, they are automatically held under the decree for 8 more years.
https://electionlawblog.org/?p=85289

What's really funny about it is the lawyer for the GOP, in the original case that they lost, was the Donald's brother in law.

Edit to change pole to poll, thanks wayneh

Last edited: