LM732 Voltage Regulator

KCHARROIS

Joined Jun 29, 2012
Hello,

I'm looking at IC's that would work great for my amp and a teacher recommended using the LM732. I would like to use the same configuration like the the one below but I also need a negative supply voltage. Could I use the same circuit but now instead use (+) terminal as ground and the (-) terminal as Vee?

Thanks

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you have an isolated (not common) negative voltage source, then yes you can use the same circuit. Just note that you are still regulating the positive side of the voltage (now considered the common), which is fine as long as you have an isolated source.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
You would be much better off with am LM337 (neg) and LM317 (positive) voltage regulators. They are simple 3-pin devices specifically designed to decontrol a split rail system with variable voltage control.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
While I happen to really like the many good qualities of the LM723 it is a very involved part to use when compared to components designed even 20 years ago.

I'd never use a positive regulator to regulate a negative voltage. It makes my head hurt trying to see what path currents take and can the negative side regulator actually regulate the current?

What exactly are you working on, what kind of amp?

(BTW, as drawn your dual regulator is a big short! Some connections need to be parted, some need to be connected.)

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Your combined circuit will work, as long as the two sources are isolated with separate transformers or output windings but with the commons not connected together then there is no short.

I built a dual lab supply many years ago that have a very similar circuit. I happened to use two identical negative regulators operating from isolated transformer windings to get the positive and negative. It makes no difference to (and can't be detected by) the outside world as to which side of the output has the series regulator. All you see is the voltage across the two output terminals.

Actually you can connect either pair of outputs together for the common to give either a plus and minus voltage or two same polarity outputs in parallel for more current. Many commercial lab supplies with isolated multiple outputs do the same thing.

KCHARROIS

Joined Jun 29, 2012
I need a power supply for my audio amplifier that requires 5amps at a 4 ohm load. Would the LM337 (neg) and LM317 (positive) work fine for this?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I need a power supply for my audio amplifier that requires 5amps at a 4 ohm load. Would the LM337 (neg) and LM317 (positive) work fine for this?
Not directly, they can only handle 1.5A. You can add a pass transistor to boost the current. There are examples in the DATASHEET. Otherwise, higher amperage units are available (LM 350).

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Yes, it will work. However, most audio amps do not have voltage regulators, just large filter capacitors. Why do you want/need

Your amp already includes constant current sources to regulate current (Q7, Q8, Q19, Q20) on the voltage gain part of the circuit so the circuit doesn't need voltage regulation. The power transistors are voltage followers so they don't need voltage regulations.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Yes. Add one 0.1uF ceramic cap in parallel with the 10000uF caps to be better but, if those are not immediately available, your current setup will be fine. This assumes you have a 40 volt, center tapped transformer (or two 20 volt transformers wires in series).

timescope

Joined Dec 14, 2011
I also agree that a regulated supply is not needed. Some form of short circuit protection for the output stage of your amplifier would be nice.

Timescope

Last edited: