LM3915

shreesh

Joined Feb 1, 2009
Hi,i am into a project where in some TRIACS(solid state relays) are to be controlled by an audio input!
I got LM3915 first in mind to start with.But the outputs of it will be lows.I used inverter 74LS04 to get high and used it to turn on BC547 transistor which inturn turns on relay.
But now the problem is the output of 74LS04 is now way enough to turn on BC547.
Similarly used ULN2003,and got a doubt,whether it can be used where in input low is fed and output high can be got?
I am desperately searching for some practical solution,tried ULN2803 also.
Can anyone get me easy solution for the task? I need to solve this within 2 to 5 days.Your replies will help me to a very greater extent.
:(

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The output from an LM3915 goes low and can turn on a PNP transistor that can turn on the triac.

Or the output of the LM3915 goes low and turns off an NPN transistor or one in an array of transistors. When the NPN transistor turns off then its collector resistor turns on the triac.

But there is no isolation of the audio input from the mains so it is a deadly design.

shreesh

Joined Feb 1, 2009
@kubeek
Ok.To be precise,i want to control SSRs with the audio input.
@Audioguru
Thanks for the reply.What i need to use to isolate audio input from mains?
And also what i need to do to turn on npn transistor using the outputs of LM3915,and i tried inverting the output and then turning on BC547,it din't work..Please help me out completing it.

shreesh

Joined Feb 1, 2009
and i also dint get how this can be done

"When the NPN transistor turns off then its collector resistor turns on the triac."

In contrast give me some idea to control switching of array of SSRs by the audio input levels.

T.Jackson

Joined Nov 22, 2011
Hi,i am into a project where in some TRIACS(solid state relays) are to be controlled by an audio input!
I got LM3915 first in mind to start with.But the outputs of it will be lows.I used inverter 74LS04 to get high and used it to turn on BC547 transistor which inturn turns on relay.
But now the problem is the output of 74LS04 is now way enough to turn on BC547.
Similarly used ULN2003,and got a doubt,whether it can be used where in input low is fed and output high can be got?
I am desperately searching for some practical solution,tried ULN2803 also.
Can anyone get me easy solution for the task? I need to solve this within 2 to 5 days.Your replies will help me to a very greater extent.
:(
Your 74LS04 is more than capable of switching ON a BC547, possibly even into saturation. The problem is that, the outputs of the LM3915 are 'open collector types'. They are in high Z (impedance) when they are not set.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
@kubeek
Ok.To be precise,i want to control SSRs with the audio input.
@Audioguru
Thanks for the reply.What i need to use to isolate audio input from mains?
And also what i need to do to turn on npn transistor using the outputs of LM3915,and i tried inverting the output and then turning on BC547,it din't work..Please help me out completing it.
A true solid state relay is isolated because it's an optically coupled TRIAC.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
and i also dint get how this can be done

"When the NPN transistor turns off then its collector resistor turns on the triac."

In contrast give me some idea to control switching of array of SSRs by the audio input levels.
Just use PNP devices with emitter tied to the + voltage source and then run each ones base through a resistor to the 3915 outputs. The collector of each PNP can drive the "enable pins" of the SSR's as a current source.