LM3914 resistor values for 3.7 V Li-Ion battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

WonHungLo

Joined May 9, 2011
i have the circuit built for a 12v dc monitor and i would like to adjust the values to read between 3.0V and 4.2V.
i can not figure out for the life of me what the resistor values would be for the upper and lower limit. i know it's got to be simple.
here is my original schematic and it works great. what would i modify to make it work on a li-ion battery.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
datasheet remove the resistor R3 and connect pin 4 to pin 2, short out R1, this will give you a full scale of 1.25V.

However the chip wont work below 3V, ideally it should have its own supply, and input the signal into pin 5, the led brightness is controlled by R4.

Last edited:

WonHungLo

Joined May 9, 2011
ok so far so good. i removed R3 and connected pin4 to pin2. when i adjust the 10k pot i can only get the lower half of the LED's to light (its a fully charged battery @ ~4.17V)
what is the resistor i need to change to make all of them light up (i guess you would call it the upper limit)

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I was more interested in the underlying science of being able to determine the state of charge of batteries using a voltmeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.