lm3914 first led stays on and cascade questions

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by jeff hulbert, Feb 11, 2016.

1. jeff hulbert

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I assembled a 3914 voltmeter circuit. everything scales as intended from led 1 to 10, bar/dot modes work as they should.

the issue I'm having is with led #1. in bar mode theres no issue as they all stay on anyways. but, dot mode starts at led 1, then starts running up as should yet leaves led 1 on/active

as for the second part. I'm looking for a way to cause a smooth spike during turn on to cause the led's to sweep from 1 to 10 and back like the gauges in a vehicle do.

I was thinking the ref hi resistance could be temporarily modded to allow high to be set a lot lower or create an inductance like spike with cap to slowly drain it off. any thoughts on this would be great

thanks, jeff

2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Post your circuit, and any pictures of the circuit board.

3. jeff hulbert

Feb 11, 2016
    heres the circuit in livewire. works fine in both bar and dot without issue

grabbing a pic of the breadboard layout now

4. jeff hulbert

Feb 11, 2016
  5. jeff hulbert

Feb 11, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

off picture is a 10k pot and switch for bar/dot.

a little spaghetti

6. jeff hulbert

Feb 11, 2016
    got the random led staying on issue fixed, now the question remains about a cascade affect at power up

7. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    I think I remember something about that chip having a high leakage on LED 1, the fix is a resistor across the LED, sized such that the leakage current across the resistor is below the VF of the LED- keeping it dark.

Then again, maybe it's something else...

jeff hulbert likes this.
  8. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Don't see the point of R2, your ref hi is set at 1.25V so each led will come on at 125mV intervals, asfor the sweep at switch on, you need to pulse the signal input to ref out or to the supply, using a fet and time delay.

9. jeff hulbert

Feb 11, 2016
    that's what I had to do

the meter read 15.5 at the top exact and 11 at the bottom in simulation. I assumed it would then divide the in between into 10 even points (if that makes sense)

as for the signal pulse with fet, do you have an example circuit for that or an article on that implementation

10. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Yes thats what Actually happens in the real world, if you set the refhi at 15V, but your diagram has the adj pin shorted to ground and therefore ref out will only give out 1.25V.