Lm386

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ojou-san, May 19, 2013.

1. ojou-san

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Hello. I wanna ask how come Power Converters and Ultrasonic drivers became an application for LM386. How do I use LM386 in those applications? What is power converters?What does it do? What is an Ultrasonic drivers? What does it do?:confused::confused::confused:

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I have no idea what you are saying.

Ask one question at a time.

What are you trying to do?

MMH likes this.
  3. ojou-san

Jan 7, 2013
    Sorry about that. Well I don't know about power converters and ultrasonic drivers and our professor is telling us to use LM386 in power converter and ultrasonic driver.So how do I use LM386 in power converter and in ultrasonic driver?

4. timescope

Dec 14, 2011
    The Texas Instruments' LM386 datasheet lists those applications. The bandwidth with pins 1 and 8 open is 300kHz so it could be used in those applications although it is described as an audio amplifier.

Timescope

ojou-san likes this.
  5. tubeguy

Nov 3, 2012
    Did your professor give you any specifics ?
    If so, please post that info.

6. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Ojou-san,

Normally, devices that generate signals (op Amps, logic chips, crystal oscillator circuits), do not have enough power to do anything more than generate signals. Therefore, you need to connect these signal generating devices to a "driver". A driver is a circuit that can amplify the input signal to provide sufficient power to any motor, loudspeaker, ultrasonic horn or other device that can really make something happen.

Although the LM386 is referred to as an "audio amplifier", it can amplify any signal in the audio frequencies (and even above) for non-audio applications. Audio frequencies are generally from 20 Hz to about 20k Hz. The LM386 will be useful from DC to 30k Hz (10x amplification) to 100kHz (3x amplification).

ojou-san likes this.
  7. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    A driver does not need to amplify the signal. What it needs to do is drive enough power.
    Power is calculated as P = IV or using all combination of Ohm's Law I = V/R.

What is missing from your discussion is the load resistance R.

You need to discuss what is the load R.

ojou-san likes this.
  8. ojou-san

Jan 7, 2013
    He didn't give any specifics rather he just told us to research about the significance of active filter into the power converter and in ultrasonic drivers. He just told us that ultrasonic drivers has something to do with pressure. :(

9. ojou-san

Jan 7, 2013
    Thanks for that explanation. I already tried doing that. I used LM386 as an audio amplifier and it really works when I tried in Multisim. But my problem now is what does it do in Power Converters and in Ultrasonic Drivers?

10. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Can you talk about one application at a time:

1) Power converter

What is your load impedance?
    How much power?

ojou-san likes this.
  11. ojou-san

Jan 7, 2013
    Well He didn't tell anything in particular. Just Power Converter. Maybe any value as long as it is power converter.

12. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Well you will have to come up with your own specs.
    Calculate the current and voltage requirements for various loads from 1Ω to 1MΩ.

13. ojou-san

Jan 7, 2013
    My own specs? hmmm
    current? how about 1.5 amps?

all 50 Ω
    with a voltages of 25V,50V,75V and 100V?

14. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    No! No! No!

We're talking about an LM386, aren't we?

15. ojou-san

Jan 7, 2013
    Ah Ok I get it. Sorry about that. I thought it was about power converter. 3-15VmA and the voltage? 5V?