LM331 hystersis resistor

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by hasanferoz, Mar 27, 2011.

1. hasanferoz

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 8, 2011
    wat is the function of 47 ohms resistor imean how is it helping in improving the linearity i am talking abt the lm331 figure 3

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Different mfgs publish different datasheets, and change them over time. You'll need to post the specific circuit or pdf you are looking at.

3. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    The 47Ω resistor causes a square wave to appear across it as the internal current source switches on and off. For example, if the reference current is 100uA (Rref=1.9V/100uA=19kΩ), then the hysteresis will be
    Vhys=100uA*47Ω=4.7mV.
    This ensures that the comparator switches crisply when the internal current source switches.

hasanferoz likes this.
  4. hasanferoz

Mar 8, 2011
    i have one confusion is to why we want 4.7 mv as the hystersis voltage and what will happen if i increase or decrease i mean an i calculate the value of this resistor then wat parameter should i take into consideration

5. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    I suspect that the exact amount of hysteresis is not critical, so long as you keep it well below the minimum input voltage. I think that a few millivolts hysteresis would be adequate. More might cause inaccuracies. I don't have real hardware experience with this part.

6. hasanferoz

Mar 8, 2011
    wat abt my ckt and the output waveform which is continoulsy fluctuating