LM317 Voltage Regulator

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008

I have friend who was going to spend $30 on a 1.5V output wall wart. I told her I would build a simple regulator instead. I overcomplicated it by printing a 3D printed box, other than that it is pretty simple.

I came up with this...

R2 is a 500Ω, which makes it adjustable from 1.25V to 6.46V.

Here is the box I made...

And the final product is very unimpressive. But then, so is this project. :)

I have included the 3D print files. The first batch was a bit off, so I had to reprint the bottom, which is included.

Attachments

Last edited:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Nice little project.
Would it be an idea to have a multiturn potentiometer?
Also would it be possible to have access to the potentiometer with a closed box?
(a little hole above the potentiometer).

Bertus

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yes, but the box is a tight press fit, and the regulator will adjust 1.25V to 6.46V. I used what I had.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Neat.
Are the in/out connectors identical? Hard to tell from the pic. It wouldn't do to confuse them.
What is the estimated materials cost for the box?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The material for the box are around $0.30, it is pretty small. Getting access to a 3D printer is the thing.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Most people have wall warts kicking around. In this case she has a 9VDC wall wart already in hand. Even so, a simple generic can be had much cheaper if you had to buy it.

Yes, it is a simple DC-DC converter. One connector is a female power connector, the other a female RCA phone (which is what she asked for).

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Bill..I really admire how you go about making projects neat and tidy.
I wish I had the time to do that.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Nice, Bill! A couple of questions..
What software did you use to generate the 3D file?
Did you print it at Tanner's? (electronic supply in Dallas area)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I printed it at Dallas Maker Space (google it). They are directly next door to Tanners, even use the same 3d printer. This is not a coincidence.

SketchUp is free and easy to use. You may need to get with me off line to learn how to use it with a 3D printer.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Thanks, Bill. Next time I'm over Tanner's way, I'll drop in on DMS. If I get serious (non-lazy) about 3D, I'll ping you via PM.
Best,
RJO

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
They use a RFID for members to let them in. You can go Thursday night for the weekly open house. If you get with me via PM I'll give you a private tour.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Nice project, Bill.

I'll make one myself, to use with my RPi project. Think I'll add a heatsink.

To draw models, and export them to *.stl files I'm using Freecad. It is completely free, and there are versions for both Linux and Windows. No need for licence or plug-ins. They also have a well functioning forum.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you check the files there are .stl (stereo lithography) files included. This is the files that most 3D printers convert into g-code, which is the actual machine controller code.