lm317 as current source

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by mahboob2, Aug 2, 2013.

1. mahboob2

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Hi every body.
    I have a problem about designing a current source.
    I want to design it with a lm317 and potentiometer.
    But when I change value of potentiometer, the output voltage doesn't change.
    whereas I want to have a constant current.
    what shoul I do?
    please give me a picture for this.
    THX alot

2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    see page 11 of datasheet for a variable current regulator, or constant current,

If you have Constant current then the Voltage will vary,

If you have Constant Voltage then the Current will vary,

you can only make one fixed.!

mahboob2 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I would guess you don't have a load resistor on the current supply circuit. If there is no load, the output voltage will always be as high as it can go.

mahboob2 likes this.
  4. mahboob2

Aug 2, 2013
    I don't use load in output. I decide to when I change my potentiometer, the current doesn't change, (ie. by changing potentiometer, output voltage change, but cuurent don't change). what should i do?

5. BobTPH

Jun 5, 2013
    Read #12's post
    Repeat until you understand it.

Bob

6. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    So using a circuit you have not shown us, not wired as recommended in the datahseet, you're getting a result you don't like, which you've described first as the output voltage NOT changing and now it does. :rolleyes:

How can we possibly help?

7. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    Makes me nostalgic for the days I worked in the Applications group at Nat Semi answering customer calls about why our parts "didn't work".......

When all else fails: read the data sheet.

8. mahboob2

Aug 2, 2013
    dear Dodgydave,:
    I designed my circuit like the second circuit on page 11 of datasheet, but when I vary potentiometer , voltage don' vary. I need a current source, what should I do?

9. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    mahboob2 likes this.
  10. mahboob2

Aug 2, 2013
    dear wayneh:
    I want to change voltage by changing value of potentiometer. Is it possible?

11. BobTPH

Jun 5, 2013
    In the first quote, you say the voltage changes but the current does not, in the second you say you want to make the voltage change.

Make up your mind.

Bob

12. mahboob2

Aug 2, 2013
    Do you mean I put a load after potentiometer?

13. mahboob2

Aug 2, 2013
    no, voltage does not change,and current change,this is my problem!!!!
    ,I like to voltage will be changed by varing potentiometer,

14. mahboob2

Aug 2, 2013

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    YES. If you do not attach any load after the potentiometer, nothing will ever happen. It will not light up an LED if you do not connect an LED.

mahboob2 likes this.
  16. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    That circuit is for a constant current that can be adjusted, and will produce whatever voltage is needed to drive that current through a load. (Of course, not over the supply voltage less the drop out of the regulator.)

With no load, the circuit cannot function and will be at maximum voltage. Changing the setting of the variable resistor will make no difference.

You've said you want to control voltage with the potentiometer. Choose the typical application circuit for this IC, the adjustable, constant voltage supply. That is meant to do exactly what you said.

mahboob2 likes this.
  17. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    With a fixed load resistance, a change in the constant current source will produce a change in voltage. Lower current being sourced will give lower output voltage into the fixed load. If, on the other hand, you vary the load resistance, a higher load resistance, with a fixed constant current source, will result in a higher voltage. Ohms law applies.

mahboob2 likes this.
  18. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    I think the O.P. really wants an adjustable voltage supply, using an LM317, but due to language diificulties has got stuck on some "current" label and has got the wrong circuit.

To Mahboob; here is a circuit google found very easily for an "adjustable voltage regulator with LM317";

[​IMG]

It was on this page;
    http://www.circuitstoday.com/few-lm317-voltage-regulator-circuits

mahboob2 likes this.