Lm1117mp-adj

ArchillesElbow

Joined May 2, 2012
Anyone know how to adjust this regulator to 3.3v from input battery (4.2v charged 3.7v discharged), do I need a set of resistors? If so what impedance?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Anyone know how to adjust this regulator to 3.3v from input battery (4.2v charged 3.7v discharged), do I need a set of resistors? If so what impedance?
Read the datasheet carefully, the regulator has typically 1.2V dropout voltage, so to get stable 3.3V you need at least 4.5V input.

ArchillesElbow

Joined May 2, 2012
Mm it has a standard product (not adjustable) of 3.3v -the data sheet says this is achievedby internal resistors...so because this was all that the shop had in stock I assumed this would do it..
I added some resistors but all I get is a differential of 0.4xxx volts no matter what the input voltage is...

The product is probably right, I am Probably doing something wrong...

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Mm it has a standard product (not adjustable) of 3.3v -the data sheet says this is achievedby internal resistors...so because this was all that the shop had in stock I assumed this would do it..
I added some resistors but all I get is a differential of 0.4xxx volts no matter what the input voltage is...

The product is probably right, I am Probably doing something wrong...
Again please? Are you trying to get 3.7V out of the regulator, or are you trying to get 3.3V from a lithium battery?
The first is possible if you connect the ground pin through a diode or a small resistor, the second is impossible.

ArchillesElbow

Joined May 2, 2012
Again please? Are you trying to get 3.7V out of the regulator, or are you trying to get 3.3V from a lithium battery?
The first is possible if you connect the ground pin through a diode or a small resistor, the second is impossible.
3.3v out of the regulator... Can u tell me why it would be impossible (for my own interest:))

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Because the lm1117 has a droput voltage of 1.2V, meaning you need at least 3.3+1.2V on the input side to get regulated 3.3V on the output. Some other LDOs like crutshow pointed out have this limit lower.