Little Solar panels

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by joulian, Nov 21, 2009.

1. joulian

Thread Starter Active Member

Aug 27, 2009
    My main question is how do you soldier a wire back on these things. One of the wires came off and I have gone to the local ele store and we tried acid core,silver, and resin core solder and couldn't get the exact place the wire came off to accept it back.

My next question.

I have a a 24v CPU fan I bought for a solar furnace project I am attempting.

I need to know how to regulate the power of the fan when it turns on. More or less any do's or don'ts.

Is it good for the fan to come on if the voltage is not exactly what it needs to be. Maybe there is a cloud over the panel, or something like that.

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    NEVER use acid core solder on an electronic project.
    That is for copper plumbing only.
    I don't even know how to neutralize the acid used in that stuff. Try cleaning it off with isopropyl alcohol.

I've managed to re-solder a wire to a panel using 63/37 solder and rosin flux, but you need a pretty hot iron. The glass in the panel really sucks the heat away from it. It's pretty tricky. Conductive epoxy would be a lot easier to use, but that's expensive stuff and a tube of it doesn't last long.

Use a shunt regulator set to 24v. The shunt regulator will need good heat sinking.

It probably won't hurt the fan if it's not getting enough current to turn it.