little phase control to 135º

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by silvajq, Apr 14, 2010.

1. silvajq

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Hello everybody,
    I have proble, i wan to build a phase control to control my output from 0º to 180º. i just search for everywere, and i jus tmade one to control for example a lamp. but now i have a new project, my supplie AC voltage is about 5VAC, and i want to control the phase with this value, for a maximum out put of 1amp. i hust try with TCA 185 and so on and i'm not able to put it working, can someone give a litle help?
    I'm new member, i just take a look to forum and it is fantastic!
    Regards,
    Silva

2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Have you tried to use the all-pass filter. You will find info about on wiki. I have never used it my self so I do not know how useful it is as a design element
    Edit: This is perhaps not that the OP had in mind. I think I misunderstood the request. Sorry for that

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  3. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    A couple of ideas spring to mind. The simplest from a conceptual point of view is to use a monostable multivibrator that triggers at the zero crossing and triggers you triac of SCR a time later. Simpler still, but more direct is to use a two pol RC circuit to delay the rise in the trigger voltage.

If you post the circuit you are now working with, i am sure you can get more speicific answers.

silvajq likes this.
  4. rjenkins

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 6, 2005
    Have a look at a Programmable Unijuntion Transistor like 2N6027.

With a few components you can make good phase control dimmer.

Have a look at figure three in the datasheet.
    http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/2N6027-D.PDF

Change the 510K fixed resistor to a 1K plus a 470K pot and make Cc about 0.1uF?? Cant remember the ideal value.

Feed the circuit from full-wave rectified but *unsmoothed* 12V.

If you use a 12V center tapped transformer you can use the center tap for a lower voltage supply to your lamp? and the other side of the lamp to the anode of a small thyristor.

Connect the thyristor cathode to timing circuit negative and the gate to the top of the 20 Ohm resistor via a 10 ohm.

silvajq likes this.
  5. silvajq

Apr 14, 2010
    i try with two different circuits, that you can see in the atachments, but they are all for a 230vac inputs, and i want to do it for at maximum 12vac. i just simulate the 2 circuits on the multsim with 12vac and with all components with exact value and it works fine :) but when i assembly it on pcb board, the circuit didn't work! on the first circuit i switch the diac to one diod 1n4007

Silva

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  6. silvajq

Apr 14, 2010
    Sorry Robert,

I don't understand what you mean on your last paragraph "Connect the thyristor cathode to timing circuit negative and the gate to the top of the 20 Ohm resistor via a 10 ohm"

Silva

7. eblc1388

Nov 28, 2008
    @Silva,

Try the following component changes to see if the the IC works. I have not tested it so good luck for the trial.

[​IMG]

silvajq likes this.
  8. silvajq

Apr 14, 2010
    Hi,

Didn't work, in my opinnion all the components are prepared for a imput of 230vac, and this way will no work :,(

9. eblc1388

Nov 28, 2008
    Please measure voltage across 470uF 16V capacitor and post back.

silvajq likes this.
  10. rjenkins

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 6, 2005
    Figure three in that data sheet has a circuit with the output across a 20 Ohm resistor.

That would be where to to connect to a thyristor, with the gate via a 10 Ohm resistor to limit the current.

silvajq likes this.
  11. silvajq

Apr 14, 2010
    Hello, sorry my delay, but i was on holidays, so finally the circuit is running (with the TCA), the problem was in my test board!! she had some contacts broken!

I want to thank you and to the other users that help me!

Silva