Lithium Ion charger circuit question

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by bisctboy, May 21, 2009.

1. bisctboy

Thread Starter Member

Nov 3, 2008
    If I am charging a 3.7v lithium ion battery through a solar panel that puts out 4.3v and 140ma, do I need a special charging circuit? Most specs on commercial lithium ion chargers indicate that the output from my solar panel is around their outputs.

Thanks,

2. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
  3. bisctboy

Thread Starter Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Thank you....

4. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    After reading " Charging lithium-ion batteries", you'll need more inf,. on the solar panel."puts out 4.3V and 140 mA" Guessing again they mean open ckt. V & short ckt.I. At max output power S.P. V would be around 3V, charging at almost OC V, might charge @ 5mA.Battery management now needs to have boost capability. Also helpfull would be battery capacity in mA hrs. I'm throwing in the solar panel graph for kicks. Current about the same as your panel, dividing V by 4.2 will be close to the C.P. OC V.

5. Externet

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005
    Measure the voltage of the cell while being charged to not exceed 4.1V and you will be fine.

6. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    A charge controller will do this automatically, without ever becoming distracted. Better to err on the side of caution. Fire is a nifty servant but a terrible master.