Listen to me Colleges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Sure! I managed to get not just one but two degrees when the internet was just a pipe dream. It was more work and required personal interaction, but it was and still is quite doable. You don't even need a good professor, but it does help.
You did this without textbooks?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
No without the internet. Textbooks were part of the equation, but never a single one. We had a library and a reserve shelf and some of the profs sold copies of their notes at Kinkos. My point was that a single textbook was never the only thing we depended on.

Otto Laporte's two semester course in Theoretical Physics was devoid of a textbook, because there were very few people alive at the time who knew as much as he did about the course material. Going to class was required and our class notes were graded!

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
On my open day at Nottingham, I managed to get a look at a few of the books in the library - droooool. :rolleyes:

So many circuits - so little time. :D

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Do Uni's even NEED textbooks today?

I think every student just comes here and asks strangers to provide him with the answers to his homework. No books required. ;)
That is an excellent question. Many profs at U of M make money hand over fist by self publishing course notes which are run off at Kinkos for $39.95 about 1/3 the cost of a textbook and no fee to a publisher and many times the cost of paper and toner.

Maybe some trolls should provide bogus answers just to keep them on their toes -- Nah that would be evil!!

ramancini8

Joined Jul 18, 2012
Having written tech articles, application notes, and a tech book I can say it is hard work that pays very little, writing a tech book that everybody likes is impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.