List of functions of 74HC series?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by spinnaker, Jan 23, 2011.

1. spinnaker

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    I realize I could look in the individual datasheets for each chip but I was wonder if there was a summary somewhere of each of the chips.

Sort of a summary for newbies would really be great. For example I know the basic function of a shift register but the summary I have in mind would detail the basic function of a shift register.

Does anything like this exist out there? Of so can someone point me to it please?

2. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
  3. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    Thanks that is a start but it really does not define what each of those functions do. It defines some.

For example I am not exactly sure what a Octal Transparent Latch does. I know what a latch is not not sure of the rest. And I know I don't know what a 7 bit Slice Wallace Tree does. :) And there are many others. :)

4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Isn't that why the companies make datasheets?

John

5. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    Read my original post.

6. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    In days past, manufacturers put out free manuals that described everything about their logic offerings. Apparently you have to pay to get one now - http://www.oldcomputerbooks.com/product.php?productid=16150&cat=260&page=2

http://www.semiconductorcti.com/Databooks/Signetics/1976 Signetics Data Book (Data Manual).htm

The second link at least lists chip designators.

I am very happy to have my 1984 Signetics TTL manual along with National Semi and Motorola CMOS manuals. Realistically, collecting PDF's of data sheets is about the only way to get the stuff for free anymore.

7. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    Ha! You just reminded me! I have an old TV Typewrite Cookbook 1979. Some of the chips might be detailed in there or at least their basic function.

8. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
  9. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  10. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Find a copy of, "TTL Cookbook" by Don Lancaster. It has the functions and truth tables in one convenient place. Plus a lot of circuit building tips and other info. I got mine used from Amazon. com for around $6.00.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  11. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
  12. docred

Dec 4, 2010
    As mentioned earlier, its one good reason (much to my wife's dismay) that I keep so many older books. They are often decades old, but the logic and basic parameters of most of these devices don't change :)

13. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    There have been some great links posted. I really like that TI one.

My normal "go to" is the Newne's "Electronics Pocketbook", but it's a bit hard to find, and not up to date anymore.

14. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    I think I used to own one of those but I do not know what I did with it. I usually do not throw anything like that out.

15. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Elektor magazine, when moving all the labs to a new place, discarded all paper printed books which took several garbage containers.

I keep mine. All of them.

Still waiting for a simple ebook, where I can download ALL datasheets I want, to carry with me everywhere.

It is true that I print only the datasheets of ICs that I am using for the first time.

With every new micro (for me) it is a must.

16. Rbeckett

Sep 3, 2010
    Spin, I am like you a cheat sheet for the 74's and 4000's that just lists the basic flavor variation and a short description of the applied logic would be nice. Then you could shop for a chip and fine tune the paramters once you selected an appropriate basic configuration. Nothing real fancy, just a quick down and dirty list of the major atributes/volts would be a real time saver. Once you selected a basic chip, then the time to do a little more homework would be well spent verifying that the selected chip family would do the job. Sounds like a home brew spread sheet sticky is coming out of this. Great idea!!
    Bob

17. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    He also has a "CMOS Cookbook". And there is a "IC Op-amp Cookbook" by Walter Jung.

I have these and a ton of other electronics books, if I could just understand them :D.

18. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009

I would be happy to just have a definition of each of the chip's functions. Details could be looked up in a datasheet.

I wish I could find my TTL Cookbook. I was in the hobby years ago and got back into it recently. It is the one book I misplaced. Maybe even thrown out. I hope not. I guess I will have to reorganize / clean my office. :)

19. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
  20. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    Thanks for the input. Looks like another good site but what I was thinking was something that gives a definition of the function.

For example 4-bit 3-state inverting bus transceiver. What does something like that do? I don't expect a definition because there are so many others we would be here for the next week or so, I'd just like a reference that tells me what this stuff that I could refer to when I need it.

If something like that is on that site I am not seeing it.

But still a nice site and good reference, looks like tons if good information.