Liquid Tin before drilling or after?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by spinnaker, Nov 14, 2010.

1. spinnaker

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    I am about to use Liquid Tin for the first time. Yes I intend to take proper precautions. Should I Liquid Tin before I drill my holes or after?

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Before - when you handle the board, the copper is exposed to the nasty on your fingertips otherwise.

Precautions? Just don't drink it.

3. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    Rubber gloves right? Is it safe to use indoors w/o proper ventilation?

4. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    tin is pretty harmless, zinc, copper, lead, cadmium, antimony, chromium, and a few others are toxic. Zinc is sneaky, in that you can be exposed several times and not notice any problem or even that you were exposed, but then upon the N-th exposure you get sick almost immediately and from then on, with every exposure. Big problem with brass casting profession in the day.

5. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    @Kermit2
    I believe the concern is not over metallic tin that is deposited on the copper. It is over the chemicals, including various salts of tin, that are included in the preparation to make the conversion coating work.

John

6. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    Old school delirium here. not a big solder pot of melted tin, just some stannous sulfate or something right?

7. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I have no idea what you mean.

"Liquid Tin" is not stannous sulfate. It is tin (II) (stannous) fluoroborate and fluoroboric acid plus thiourea, based on its MSDS. The older Tinnit is apparently no longer made, but was not based on fluoroborate, as I recall. It was a dry solid. I could not find and MSDS for it.

John

8. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Is TINNIT what you are using, or something else?

9. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    The actual name of the product I am using is Liquid Tin but it looks like this is a better deal thanks.

I got mixed results on my first run. Probably my fault. Maybe I did not clean the board good enough.

10. jbeng

Sep 10, 2006
    Try this link for an MSDS...