LiPo's to dangerous?

adamclark

Joined Oct 4, 2013
hello.. I have a nitro powered rc car and ive built an aluminum rail buggy type body for it. the body as a whole only weighs a couple pounds and ive already removed a lot of unnecessary parts and such to make up for the extra weight. so the cars weight is a little over what it was with the stock body so im always looking for ways to take some weight off it. My point and question here is the battery pack that powers the servos is 4 AA cell batteries. That makes 6 volts to the servos. I have 2 3.7v LiPo's that combined still weigh less than half of the AA's. So I was thinking series the 2 LiPo's and use them, but them series together make 7.2v. im not sure if the servos will work well with the extra voltage(I think their good to 9v though)but if their not I would have to figure out how to limit the voltage. A simple resistor would do that I think..So I guess what I need to know is 1. are the lipo dangerous to use, ive heard its easy to catch them on fire. and 2. the LiPo's are 450ma each, so would they run the servos just as well as the dry cell AA's?

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
hello.. I have a nitro powered rc car and ive built an aluminum rail buggy type body for it. the body as a whole only weighs a couple pounds and ive already removed a lot of unnecessary parts and such to make up for the extra weight. so the cars weight is a little over what it was with the stock body so im always looking for ways to take some weight off it. My point and question here is the battery pack that powers the servos is 4 AA cell batteries. That makes 6 volts to the servos. I have 2 3.7v LiPo's that combined still weigh less than half of the AA's. So I was thinking series the 2 LiPo's and use them, but them series together make 7.2v. im not sure if the servos will work well with the extra voltage(I think their good to 9v though)but if their not I would have to figure out how to limit the voltage. A simple resistor would do that I think..So I guess what I need to know is 1. are the lipo dangerous to use, ive heard its easy to catch them on fire. and 2. the LiPo's are 450ma each, so would they run the servos just as well as the dry cell AA's?
Please buy the right battery from hobby king or tower hobbies...

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The AA batteries will last about 3 times longer and when they are used up, they get thrown away. The trick with LIPO is that you should not run them down to 3 volts because, (1) they will not last long and (2) the charger will recognize them as damaged (if you are using a LiPo charger with a safety circuit). Therefore, you need some method to turn off your device before you run down to 3.1 volts. It can be a pain but depends on how you up use them.

adamclark

Joined Oct 4, 2013
well ****.. 3 times longer ill just keep the AA.. the weight loss isn't worth all that work.. the lipo's are made by traxxis,, designed for rc heli's,, I use them in my quad drone....