LiPo alternatives

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by susannah, Jun 3, 2013.

1. susannah

Thread Starter Active Member

Feb 14, 2010
    What alternatives there is for LiPo batteries. I try to find battery which outputs similar 3.7V power but stores more power in smaller physical size.

Thanks

2. Shagas

May 13, 2013
    More power in smaller physical size?

LIPos are amongst the most power-dense battery technologies available to consumers If i'm not mistaken .

What are you really after ? Instantanious power or Battery capacity?
    What will you be using it for and what is it in the LiPo that doesn't suit you?
    Or do you just need a very small battery that gives approximately 3,7 volts?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  3. susannah

Feb 14, 2010
    I need more battery capacity in smaller physical size. I have now 6000 mah LiPo in small box with circuit and now i need to put even more mah in that same box.

Thanks.

4. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    I am not aware of any recharchable technology with better Wh/l than lithium-polymer accumulators. Good luck with finding something better.

5. Shagas

May 13, 2013
    How many cells is your Lipo (what voltage does it give)
    And how many volts do you actually need?

Because voltage and mAh are a tradeoff
    What are you building? Maybe someone can offer an alternative or a more efficient circuit where your
    mAh will be of more use

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  6. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    Lithium polymer is the best battery for power density and light weight. There is nothing better.

7. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    It does not exist and almost certainly never will. For the last 30 years, the electronics industry has been searching for smller, lighter batteries because the future of electric cars depends on finding such a thing. They don't exist.

The new Boeing 787 Dreamliner (air bus) uses Li Po because they are the lightest and smallest... and also very dangerous as they had their fleet grounded because of battery fires.

Everybody wishes there was a better battery, there is none.

8. Shagas

May 13, 2013
    I wouldn't go as far a to say that it will never exist :))

9. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    Not in our lifetimes. There was hundreds of millions of $$$ posted by the government for the company that came up with such a creature and everybody looked..... the laws of physics can be pesky and annoying.

10. Shagas

May 13, 2013
    :(

Not even with advances in nanotechnology?
    Maybe some ... Nuclear-based device :D

11. susannah

Feb 14, 2010
    3.7V 1 cell lipo and 6000 mah battery lasts for about one week (168 hours).

12. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    And what is the load?

13. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
  14. Shagas

May 13, 2013
    what are you powering with the lipo(post the circuit)? Maybe someone can offer a more efficient way of power delivery

15. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    Maybe. That's what the hydrogen fuel cells were suppose to provide.... that technology sure was a success.

16. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    Interesting, but the source article says this is still Lithium Ion battery technology. Not sure why they are making miraculous claims? Other than to get venture capital funding....

17. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    If you look at the paper they have some sample batteries and they show their performance.

18. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    It sounds like some smoke and mirrors because:

OK, maybe this is a breakthrough in "microbatteries"...... whatever those are. That term has never been formally defined to my knowledge, other than making a real small battery.

Maybe it's better than other microbatteries but I don't see how that will make a real sized battery. As I said, it's still Li - Ion technology it is not a new battery. The main "advantage" seems to be faster recharge.