Linux

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hi Dave,

I've personally used Gentoo, Fedora, Red Hat, Slackware, Suse, and Ubuntu. All my use has been at my home. I've setup a Firewall, Web Server, Print Server, and File Sharing Server. I also have used it as a workstation on my Macbook, Dell Latptops, and Desktops. I am currently running Ubuntu as I like the community, the package manager, and the ease of installation. I LOVE Gentoo and would use it if my machines weren't so old (I compiled Open Office from source just to see how long it would take... 13 hours).
Are you running v7.10 of Ubuntu? If so, what do you think of it? Its getting quite a lot of press at the moment and I'm thinking of creating a LiveCD to have a look at it.

Dave

Ridius

Joined Oct 22, 2007
Are you running v7.10 of Ubuntu? If so, what do you think of it? Its getting quite a lot of press at the moment and I'm thinking of creating a LiveCD to have a look at it
I am using 7.10 and I really enjoy it. The reasons are basically the same as in my previous post. I like the package manager. It uses pre-compile binaries so installation is faster on my old machines. It uses Synaptic for GUI which I find easy to use and apt-get for command line which is also pretty easy to use. I am also partial to the Gnome interface. I like having a clean usable desktop and KDE just has too much for my tastes. The installation is the easiest I've ever done for a Linux distro (both server and desktop installations!). Lastly, the community is wonderful. There's so many articles for just about anything you'd want to do a bunch of resources for help if you can't find what you're looking for.

Like I said earlier, the only other distro I'd prefer is Gentoo (cause I like working with source code) but my machines just take too long to download, compile, install.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I am using 7.10 and I really enjoy it. The reasons are basically the same as in my previous post. I like the package manager. It uses pre-compile binaries so installation is faster on my old machines. It uses Synaptic for GUI which I find easy to use and apt-get for command line which is also pretty easy to use. I am also partial to the Gnome interface. I like having a clean usable desktop and KDE just has too much for my tastes. The installation is the easiest I've ever done for a Linux distro (both server and desktop installations!). Lastly, the community is wonderful. There's so many articles for just about anything you'd want to do a bunch of resources for help if you can't find what you're looking for.

Like I said earlier, the only other distro I'd prefer is Gentoo (cause I like working with source code) but my machines just take too long to download, compile, install.
Thanks for the comments, I think I will give it a go. I must say, although I have not always been a fan of the GNOME UI it seems to have been made just that little bit more appealing in Ubuntu 7.10. I have KDE on my home Suse install and I find it useful for my means, and GNOME on our Scientific Linux install at work which is horrible (like the rest of Scientific Linux really).

Are there articles on the Ubuntu community for creating and testing a LiveCD for v7.10?

Dave

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Yes, you're right. It's a bit confusing if you get into depth, but here's what they say:

So you cannot charge an indefinitely high price for source code, since that would hamper the selling of binaries.

Although it's futile to try to restrict the distribution of source, since anyone can redistribute it for free after he buys it.
Indeed you can do that, but the intelligent part is that you can't prevent others from giving it for free.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
By the way, I ordered a CD of Ubunto v7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon). I wonder if it does non-destructive partitioning?

I'm planning to install in on a Windows XP computer, and I don't want to buy PartitionMagic to make partitions on the disk.

Does it make dual boot either?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
By the way, I ordered a CD of Ubunto v7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon). I wonder if it does non-destructive partitioning?

I'm planning to install in on a Windows XP computer, and I don't want to buy PartitionMagic to make partitions on the disk.

Not sure. I'm hoping to set mine on a download tonight, so will get back with comments. I'm only trying a LiveCD for now, but will have a look at the partitioning tools.

Dave

sax1johno

Joined Oct 20, 2007
Hey Dave,

Thanks for the cool thread idea! I use Ubuntu 7.10 (I've used Ubuntu since 5.10 and before that was a slackware / gentoo fan). I can see why 7.10 is getting so much press! It's added a great deal of hardware support for my laptop and has made life much easier!

Ubuntu does a good job of dual-booting if you install Windows first and then Ubuntu. It does non-destructive partitioning using the installation wizard (or manually using parted) and will add it's own bootloader capable of booting into Windows.

One caveat -- the NTFS partition must be pretty new or recently defragmented or you might have some issues. However, you would have the same issues trying to resize the partition using Partition Magic.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hey Dave,

Thanks for the cool thread idea! I use Ubuntu 7.10 (I've used Ubuntu since 5.10 and before that was a slackware / gentoo fan). I can see why 7.10 is getting so much press! It's added a great deal of hardware support for my laptop and has made life much easier!

Ubuntu does a good job of dual-booting if you install Windows first and then Ubuntu. It does non-destructive partitioning using the installation wizard (or manually using parted) and will add it's own bootloader capable of booting into Windows.

One caveat -- the NTFS partition must be pretty new or recently defragmented or you might have some issues. However, you would have the same issues trying to resize the partition using Partition Magic.
Well I did get around to trying the LiveCD of Ubuntu - I'm posting this from it now. I must say it is excellent having tried the LiveCD on 3 different machines. I am considering installing it as a dual boot on my Vista laptop so if anyone has any suggestions, they are welcome. From what I can see there is a partitioner as part of the Ubuntu installer, however I am concerned about it issues raised by sax1johno above. Windows will remain my main system for some time because of the software I own solely for Windows, so ensuring that installing Ubuntu does not affect my Windows install is essential.

Another issue I have found is that it is not too happy with a dual monitor set-up, but I am willing to play about with this.

Try Ubuntu 7.10 if you're interested in looking at trying Linux or want to have a look at the new features it has to offer.

Dave