Linux Use Really Limited

embpic

Joined May 29, 2013
i am using ubuntu now a days but it's really not that much developed. I am not getting resources like software like proteus and much more software are not developed for linux.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Thanks all of you. From linux which distrubution is good.
I'd argue that they are all good, in their own way and for their own purposes. The question is, which is good for you?

Start here. Read some reviews. Look at some screen shots. Try some live installs. Then choose one.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Ubuntu is bad. I tried it.
I've been using Ubuntu since "Breezy" (Ubuntu 5.10). A lot has changed since then.

It is currently my main production platform (both desktop and server).

Some things about it, IMHO, are superior to just about any operating system I've ever used.
Other things need some work.

Many of the popular distributions, like Mint, are derived from Ubuntu (or Debian, from which Ubuntu is derived). My guess is that there are more Debian/Ubuntu based desktop installs than any other distro. There must be a reason for that.

Nice thing about Linux, there is a distribution to fit probably just about every niche application, and then some.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I am using openSUSE for quite some years now.
There is a special repository that you can install, that will provide you with all kinds of scientific programs including a lot of eletronics related programs.

Bertus

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Nice thing about Linux, there is a distribution to fit probably just about every niche application, and then some.
Joey, I am currently on XP. I use Firefox and Thunderbird, occasionally Word, Excel, and then a bunch of WinXp electronics & radio stuff, including LTSpice.

What do you recommend for me as a migration path to a Linix/Unix based system that will run on my old XP hardware, and where I will not hate life too much during the transition. I have some old command-line UNIX experience (ls, grep) from 30years ago.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

If you can make some space on the harddisk of the XP computer, you can install the linux in dual boot.
I have done this with my own computer wich had vista pre-installed, it has a C: partition with Vista and a D: partition for data.
I reduced the D: partition and installed the linux on the rest of the harddisk.

Bertus

bance

Joined Aug 11, 2012
I'd argue that they are all good, in their own way and for their own purposes. The question is, which is good for you?

Start here. Read some reviews. Look at some screen shots. Try some live installs. Then choose one.
Live cd's/usb installs are the best way to try out new distros for sure..... Try to remember that they will run much slower than an actual install.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Joey, I am currently on XP. I use Firefox and Thunderbird, occasionally Word, Excel, and then a bunch of WinXp electronics & radio stuff, including LTSpice.

What do you recommend for me as a migration path to a Linix/Unix based system that will run on my old XP hardware, and where I will not hate life too much during the transition. I have some old command-line UNIX experience (ls, grep) from 30years ago.
Firefox and Thunderbird run natively on *any* Linux desktop distribution.

All Microsoft Office products pretty much run under Wine, though I would strongly recommend you try the free (as in freedom, not beer) LibreOffice -- it runs natively both under Windows and Linux, can read and write MS Office formats, and is compatible with 99% of existing office documents.

There are some Windows programs that I still use today. For that, I keep an XP or Win7 virtual machine under VirtualBox. All of your existing Win software can run natively on the virtual machine under Linux. You get the best of both worlds.

As far as an actual distribution?

I like the latest Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. But it does require some decent, late model hardware to run well. My laptop is a quad core I7 with an SSD drive...it boots to the login prompt in 7 seconds, and up and running 3 seconds after typing my password. OTOH, I've got an older laptop that takes many minutes to boot.

So, for older hardware, I recommend something like Lubuntu, a lightweight version that is not so demanding on hardware.

For *really* old hardware, you can't beat Puppy. It's fast on *everything* because it runs pretty much completely from RAM.