linux os installation

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by sid kant, Jan 25, 2011.

1. sid kant

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    i need to install linux fedora on my system. all i have is an iso file. do i burn it first? what should i do about partitioning?

2. JDT

Feb 12, 2009
    Burn it to a CD. Make sure you burn it as an image. If you do it correctly, when you read back the CD you will see lots of files not a single .iso

Now boot your PC from this CD. You may need to adjust the bios first so that it boots from the CD before the HD.

Sit back while it installs. With most Linux installations, partitioning is all done for you. You may have to OK its suggestions but that's about it.

Edit: Actually I missed out a step. If it's a "live" CD it will boot to a desktop. Click on the icon "Install to Hard Disk" or similar to install. Then sit back. Enjoy!

You will find it's much easier than installing Windows. When it's installed everything will work (usually) - unlike Windows!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
    sid kant likes this.
  3. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
  4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  5. sid kant

Dec 16, 2010
    if i wanna have windows n linux on d same pc, should i repartition my hd?

6. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    I recently bought a new IBM Lenovo, with pre installed Win 7. First thing I did was to take a backup of it, using the pre installed one-click recovery system. After that I installed Ubuntu Netbook. During the installation process, I was asked to partition the harddrive. It was a slider option, so I slided until the Win partition was about 100GB, because I'm not a big MS fan. Now there is a boot menu, making me choose to boot win or ubuntu.

BTW: From the time I press enter, to boot the ubuntu, I'm ready to surf the net after 17 seconds. :D

7. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    Don't know about fedora but with ubuntu it's much easier to do the partitioning with the installer.

8. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

It depends on how the this is partitioned at the moment with the windows installation.

I am using Opensuse. ( http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org ).

With the installer of that you have the option to go to advanced partitioning.
    There you can "shrink" the D-partition of windows
    (wich is usualy uses for data only),
    to make space for the linux installation.

I usualy make 3 partitions for the installation.
    a "root" partition "/" size about 10 - 20Gb
    a "swap" partition about 2 X memory size max 2 Gb
    a "home" partition "/home" rest of the diskspace.

You can use GRUB to make the dual boot setup.

Bertus

9. sid kant

Dec 16, 2010
    i made a live usb with ubuntu. my pc booted ok but my mouse n keyboard r stuck.. i dint click Anything after d power button..........nd nw hv a screen vd 2 icons (install ubuntu. and examples)STUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    Yersterday I downloaded the OpenSuse, from previous posts. It was an *.iso cd, so naturally I had to burn it. When I booted my laptop, I could choose from LiveCD or Install. I picked LiveCD. It booted and everything was OK. On the desktop there was two icons. One of them was Install. So I did that, and now everything is working smooth.

As for the partitioning, I got several choices. Felt I was in control.:D

I had no trouble with either keyboard or mouse or the WiFi.

It all went pretty smooth.

11. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    Have you got some kind of fancy wireless keyboard and mouse that Ubuntu might not have drivers for yet?

12. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008