Linux in space

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nerdegutta, May 14, 2013.

1. nerdegutta

Thread Starter Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/155392-international-space-station-switches-from-windows-to-linux-for-improved-reliability

"...Linux is the scientific community’s operating system of choice. CERN’s Large Hadron Collider is controlled by Linux. NASA and SpaceX ground stations use Linux. DNA-sequencing lab technicians use Linux. Really, for applications that require absolute stability, which most scientific experiments are, Linux is the obvious choice. The fact that the entire OS is open source and can be easily customized for each experiment is obviously a very big draw, too.
    ..."

2. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3601946

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Actually this goes beyond malware. I have seen Linux servers sit years unattended. The only contact with a person was to bring the onboard clock back into line. Most OSes simply are not that stable, no maleware required.

4. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Bill,

All this will be changing in the future. As more and more attacks on computer systems occur, we will be seeing Unix and Linux more in the mix. Of course when these systems are breached, there is little news about them. When common folk's computers are breached, it's BIG news. Those who own compromised Unix and Linux systems are not going hold press conferences, unless they absolutely have no other choice. Case in point was the "VA's social security number" fiasco a few years back.

5. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    Joe, an article on malware from 2006? That's a lifetime ago! Since then, Linux has completely taken over just about every segment of computing, except for personal computers.

And i still run my PCs/servers with no A/V at all. Never been exploited. Not once.

6. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Joey,

Are you saying that a bank or any other institution is going to tell you when their system's been breached? They don't want that publicity. Yes, the article was from 2006. As an OS becomes more popular, it will come under attack. Just because your personal servers haven't been breached, consider yourself lucky. Your servers may or may not be high on the target list. There are government systems, banking systems, defense systems, that are above you on the "hackers" list.

Of course, your systems could be a proving ground, a test-bed. If they don't do more than steal some resources, what are the chances of you catching them?

Here's one from 2011 http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/232137/scitech/hackers-attack-linux-foundation-site-anew

here's something about a backdoor .... http://www.voiceofgreyhat.com/2013/05/Linux-Cdorked.A-Sophisticated-Apache-Backdoor.html

719,000 listings for +"hacker attack" +"linux" +"unix" 2013

7. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    You are still talking malware, which is not the same as stability. Stability is the ability to run months or years with no manual intervention. Linux has withstood the test, unlike other OS's.

Security is a completely separate issue. I suspect Linux will shine there, due to the nature of open source (almost seems paradoxical, doesn't it?). The old quote, "Many eyes make all bugs small" applies here.

8. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    738,000 listings for +"dog attack" +"linux" +"unix" 2013. What are we getting at? That Linux is susceptible to dog attacks?

9. nerdegutta

Thread Starter Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    The article is about OS stability, not malware.

I've mentioned it in other threads, but I had a Red Hat 6.2 server, standing from 1995 to 2003. Only time it was off was when the power went down. I had it as a samba file server and an Apache web server for development.

Now I have several linux driven servers running. Some on real hardware and some virtual. Never have to do anything with them. Just like the old air-ground missile Maverick. Fire and forget! :D

10. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009