Links: Moderator review?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Some of us have had problems postings links. A screen informing the poster that moderator review is required pops up. There must be some busy moderators, or do such posts just disappear into the ether?

John

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hi John,

Firstly, apologies for the confusion this is causing. I'm not sure if Rob is testing something of this nature or if it is a settings quirk from the v3.7.3 PL1 release of vBulletin; let me get in touch with him to clear this up. There is a moderation queue in the adminCP that retains all posts, so nothing is lost. I have just approved all relevant posts.

It appears as though this is an anti-spam measure. That said, I don't think it should be moderating the Senior Members for two reasons; firstly, it is an inconvenience to members who are proven trusted, and secondly, you are right to point out that it makes for busy moderators.

Let me investigate further and I will give more details when I get them. Worse case, it is merely an inconvenience.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Ok, I have just had a look through the AdminCP at a recent heuristic anti-spam measure we have implemented (think your e-mail inbox), and it has been scanning all posts by all members; obviously it is very keen and has flaged up legitimate messages from a range of Senior Members. I have ammended this so that it ignores regular contributors to the forums; you guys are trusted so it shouldn't be moderating you. I will work with Rob to ensure this gives the right balance between convenience and counter-measures for spam. You (and all other regular senior members) shouldn't have any problems posting links now John.

Thanks for pointing this out. Let me know if you have any further issues.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Apologies for this, we can certainly disable the feature altogether?
I don't think disabling altogether is necessary Rob, it is a good little feature. If you go to the Spam Management settings, there is an option to set the scanning to members with less than a certain number of posts. The majority of spam is from new accounts set-up to shot-gun spam around the forums, i.e. user accounts with less than say 20 posts. Therefore, I have set the threshold accordingly so that it doesn't pull up members like John who are trusted but will monitor posts from new accounts from where the majority of spam emanates.

Now that I am aware of this, I can monitor posts from my UserCP (on the control panel on the left is a Moderation panel). Can the rest of the mods though, I wonder?

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Yes. I can call up recently moderated threads and/or posts.
That is good news. It is the "post" option that is of concern with this spam management feature. I will take up managing this listing with the mods elsewhere.

For all forum members, if you are experiencing issues with this please continue to keep us posted, as with most new features they sometimes need a little tweaking to get the best from them. Thanks.

Dave