linear capacitor charging

waltsar

Joined Nov 10, 2012
I'm trying to find a way to get a linearly rising voltage output from a motor control circuit. I've done this in the past by using a bi-polar P/S and op-amps. I'd like to be able to the same with only one P/S.

The attached is the circuit I've used before and it works very well. How can I do the same using a single P/S and either an O/A or transistor?

Thanks,
Walt

Attachments

waltsar

Joined Nov 10, 2012
Sorry about that - Q2 input : the inverting input is shown, the non-inverting input is tied to common.

I thought that a single polarity P/S causes an offset in the output. I'm not sure I know what a "rail-to-rail" op-amp is.

Thanks,
Walt

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
A rail-to-rail op-amp allows the inputs to come very close to the power rails, and can produce outputs very close to the rails. A "normal" op-amp could be limited to no closer than, say, 3V to one of or both rails. And of course there are amps that include one rail or the other but not both. For instance I have a bunch of LM358 op-amps on hand because they operate down to the negative rail. Look for "common mode voltage" range on the data sheet.