Linear Actuator Control

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Thekid760, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Thekid760

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Hello everyone,
    I'm new, and joined because I need help with controlling a linear actuator. The actuator is actually going to be used on my truck to control the position of the vanes on a variable geometry turbo. This exact setup has been used, but it only is wired to a momentary switch, so it isn't precise and is difficult to get in the same position everytime.
    The actuator isn't directly controlling to turbo, but is just acting as a stop, or travel limiter. I esentially want to be able to wire up a 3 position switch and have each position correspond to a set point in the actuators range of motion.
    2" stroke linear actuator
    Switch down (or position 1) = 2"
    Switch middle (or position 2) = 1.5"
    Switch up (or position 3) = 1"
    I'm not stuck on those values obviously or the exact switch setup, but would ideally like 3 set positions I can switch to. I am currently using this actuator on a momentary switch:

New takeoffs VALEO model 24021541 linear actuator originally made for use in electric automotive seats. No clutch or limit switches. Permanent magnet type motor. Threaded output shaft has 13/16" x 1-3/16" x 13/16" steel block with 3/8"-18 tapped hole in side.
    Amps 1.5 no load
    Travel 15/16"
    Extension time 3 seconds full travel
    Rotation reversible
    Enclosure Fully enclosed
    Duty Intermittant
    Mount 1/4" dia. pin hole at base end
    Shaft 7/16" dia. 8 T.P.I threaded rod
    Overall size 5-1/2" x 2-3/8" x 4-3/4"
    Shpg. 4 lbs.

Thanks for all of your time, I would really love it if I can make this work. I'm interested in learning from all of you, as electronics are definatly my weak point.