Limiting Amperage flow allowing Voltage to take over and do the potential work

Status
Not open for further replies.

tf4624

Joined Mar 26, 2011
Voltage is as you know the potential to do work.
Amperage does work per say

My issue how is it that i can change the resistance of the flow of electricity to take down amperage flow and allow voltage to go through and do the work and indefinitely increase it if i had to?

Im a bit lost on this.. i know i can use resisters but id like to limit my Amperage flow to 1 amp or less like Miliamps and allow lets say 500+ volts to flow and do what i need...

As far as I know in the net amount of charge will always be conserved. You can't just get amps to disappear but to to reduce the amperage to an object you wire your resistor into a parallel configuration with your object. Depending on the resistance of your resistor(since current will flow through the path of least resistance) some of the current from your battery will go to your object and the other portion to your resistor?

Last edited:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
voltage is similar to 'pressure' in a water flow analogy.

increasing voltage simply increase the pressure which is 'pushing' the electrons. Meaning they can be forced through high resistance loads.

Infinite resistance will require infinite voltage to cause a current to flow.

If no current is flowing then the circuit has only POTENTIAL energy. meaning it has ability to do work, but is not doing any work.

Work will not be done by voltage. Work is done by the FLOW of electrons. Current is the measure of electron flow.

Current flows when there is a difference of electromotive pressure(voltage). Resistance requires that a portion of the potential energy(voltage) be used up to force electrons to move through the resistance. The work done moving electrons through a resistance is wasted work. It will appear in the real world as HEAT.

Bottom line: Voltage doesn't matter if one is concerned with 'work'. The current flow is the portion which determines how much work is done. The voltage and resistance only come into play to determine the value of the current that will flow in the circuit.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Ohm's law tells us that V = IR. For a given load, R is constant, and thus the only way to reduce current is to increase voltage?
Wrong. If you increase voltage, you increase current as well. Do the math. Increasing voltage to reduce current works with transformers, where VxI=constant power transferred.

What are you actually trying to accomplish? This seems like a typical case of someone trying to make his solution based on wrong assumptions work, when the right solution to the actual problem is something completely different.

tf4624

Joined Mar 26, 2011
Wrong. If you increase voltage, you increase current as well. Do the math.

What are you actually trying to accomplish? This seems like a typical case of someone trying to make his solution based on wrong assumptions work, when the right solution to the actual problem is something completely different.

Im doing a project which requires taking the amperage flow of my alternator down to Milamps and increase voltage.. to a possible set number.. lets say a dial that i can change and up voltage lets say 50,000 volts

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Im doing a project which requires taking the amperage flow of my alternator down to Milamps and increase voltage.. to a possible set number.. lets say a dial that i can change and up voltage lets say 50,000 volts
You may be looking at the equation for power - P = IE. One thing that is not covered by that equation is that the load (where the work takes place) will not change to accommodate a 1000X increase in voltage. As pointed out above, increasing voltage across a load will also increase the current. By Ohm's law, I = R/E, so current increases proportionally with voltage.

Your idea might work if you redesign everything to handle the voltage. That includes the insulation and the load. Are you planing a rewind of this alternator?

I would not go too far with this project. If you have a flashlight bulb, try putting 12 volts across it. The bright flash you get is the filament (load) vaporizing with an 8X voltage increase.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
The voltage produced by an alternator will depend chiefly on its basic design, as well as its speed of rotation and (unless it has a permanent-magnet field) how it is excited. There will be some variation of output voltage with load, which may be considerable with some small alternators. That said, presenting a larger and larger load impedances will not allow output the output voltage to be increased indefinitely.

Any idea that you can increase the output voltage to tens of thousands of volts merely by increasing the load impedance is clearly wrong, in any case such a large output voltage would cause the generator insulation to fail.
If you require a large voltage increase, you would need a transformer or other voltage multiplication system, suitably insulated to be able to safely withstand the high output voltage.

tf4624

Joined Mar 26, 2011
yes a transformer will be used and i need i guess the unit/a unit that will step up the voltage then just throwing it all at once

I have to take the heat a way that is why the amperage flow must be taken down to 1 amp or less

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I have to take the heat a way
Using a heat sink, better air flow, or liquid cooling are effective solutions. Can you tell us about your overheated load? If you supplied it with much more voltage, would it really run cooler?

tf4624

Joined Mar 26, 2011
Yes voltage isnt cause my heat issue.. its my amps going way above 20 amps.. i have to get the heat taken care of and up the voltage instead

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Volts x Amps = Watts

Doesn't matter which one you are "increasing", volts or amps, the other will decrease, because the value of Watts will be the same in both cases.

Watts is a measure of power...

Do you need to have the same 'power' in your circuit?
, but you believe that using increased voltage and diminished current, will produce less heat?

Watts is a measure of power...

Unless you decrease the amount of power you want to use, you will not be able to decrease the amount of heat expended in your 'circuit'.

Not if you want the same amount of 'work' to be done.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Water as in HHO generation? What voltage at what current does your alternator produce and what voltage and current dooes your load need?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
"Water is what is being powered"

Why has this thread sounded like an "HHO"-type thread?

You can't "power" pure water, as water is basically an insulator.

If you are trying to make an "HHO" generator, you are wasting your time.

tf4624

Joined Mar 26, 2011
LOl wasting? nah ive got it build and prototype and built a frequency generator in accordence to the original one

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Which one is The Original ONE?
If you have the schematics, you should at least be able to answer the latter of: "What voltage at what current does your alternator produce and what voltage and current dooes your load need?"

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I wish that hydrogen posession and generation was regulated by law in the US, so that people would stop spending time on pointless projects and do only the serious ones. Something like a paid licence should be enough.

What will you do with the hydrogen?

tf4624

Joined Mar 26, 2011
Which one is The Original ONE?
If you have the schematics, you should at least be able to answer the latter of: "What voltage at what current does your alternator produce and what voltage and current dooes your load need?"

Current doesnt matter the higher the amperage the hotter it gets and boils the water ..which i dont want

draw 15-30 amps before fuse blows at above 30
drawing 13+volts

tf4624

Joined Mar 26, 2011
I wish that hydrogen posession and generation was regulated by law in the US, so that people would stop spending time on pointless projects and do only the serious ones. Something like a paid licence should be enough.

What will you do with the hydrogen?

I have already got my mower to run off of it.. and working on 2 cars right now.. so my opinion is that its not pointless.. lets wake up people.. anything is possible if you give it time and knowlege to make it happen..

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Aw, c'mon. Nobody has ever made this junk work. It's a scam that sort of went viral. But nobody has ever been able to produce any method of hydrolysis that produces more output than theory predicts.

Do yourself a favor and rad the stuff we have put together through several years of similar inquiries - http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=28067

Please recall that the collective knowledge and expertise here can't see how any overunity circuits can possibly function. You will see in the linked topics that even the original patents were a complete fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.