Like it or not, Linux has taken over

markdem

Joined Jul 31, 2013
as far as i'm concerned, if the product works for you, use it. i'm not forcing my opinion on anyone but i do get a little ruffled when there are errors in peoples statements, hence this reply.
What errors can you see in my post?

quoting - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux - 'Linux is also the leading operating system on servers and other big iron systems such as mainframe computers and virtually all fastest supercomputers'
This wiki link pointless. Define a server?
Like I said, Microsoft does not have any "supercomputer" OS. There software however, like SQL, can be clustered.

funny about that, downunder, you have either apple or android, windows phones don't even cut the cake, this blackberry you mention, they still in business? i thought they were trying to sell electric motors to nasa? :)
as for i-whatevers, its a well designed product with an equally matched price to go with it, same goes with software/applications - the price tag.
Point I was making is that a phone (or any product for that matter) does not have too good to make it popular. Blackberry was a example of this - hard to set up and vendor locked but lots of people used them because it was the in thing.

i can't speak for apple products, i don't have any
How about Linux?

kpmg? who are they?
KPMG, just like PWC or Deloitte, are auditors. Most company that are listed on a stock exchange need to get audited to prove they are not doing anything illegal. (Don't get me started on how much of a crock this is). In terms of IT, they check if I have licensing for all my software, my backups are working and have been tested and, in general, I am not doing anything that will put the business at risk of lawsuits.

See here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KPMG

and yes, it does log everything by default. didn't you know that linux has always been multitasking/multiuser?
Not sure what you mean here.

windows workstations are still the norm, one of my clients 300 pc's, 1/2 linux, 1/2 windows, linux server.

there are specific enterprise distributions of linux that can handle 1000, 10000, 100000 users easily. SMB's, win servers would be ok and that's all i would look at.
and as far as i'm aware, there are no limits to the amount of user even in the basic server editions.
Not saying it can't do it. What I am tiring to say here is it is FAR easier for me to administer a windows domain then a eDirectory (Linux) or Novell (Both) network. There is just far more tools available.

We run Linux on our simulators. Why? Because it is the best tool for the job. (And it has already been certified by the FAA, CASA, CAAS etc) There is windows based software, one written by Microsoft that COULD have been better, but at the moment it is not as good as the Linux offering.

At the end of the day, a OS is just a tool. A oxy wielder is hotter then a soldering iron. Does that make it better? Would you use a oxy to solder your next project?
As any other tool, it needs to be selected based on technical merits and not "Linux\Windows\MAC\MeticSystem is crap and I will not use it".

markdem

Joined Jul 31, 2013
Never imaged a drive remotely on Linux before using dd. But here is one way it could be done (securely and compressed):
This is a real question as it may help me in a few days time..

If I run that, how do I redirect the output file to the remote PC? The PC I am backing up does not have the storage to hold the backup.

scp <file> <username>@<IP address or hostname>:<Destination>
I might be wrong, but scp will only copy the file, not take a backup?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
This is a real question as it may help me in a few days time..

If I run that, how do I redirect the output file to the remote PC? The PC I am backing up does not have the storage to hold the backup.
You can do remote to local, local to remote, or remote to remote.

I might be wrong, but scp will only copy the file, not take a backup?
You don't even realize that *nix treats everything as a file, even entire hard drives (or partitions within the drive), yet you consider yourself knowledgeable enough to state:

There is [sic] just far more tools available.
Whatever.

markdem

Joined Jul 31, 2013
You can do remote to local, local to remote, or remote to remote.
Gee - Thanks for your help. I will ask google next time instead of asking on a forum...

You don't even realize that *nix treats everything as a file, even entire hard drives (or partitions within the drive), yet you consider yourself knowledgeable enough to state:
No, I don't realise that as I am a windows admin. Just like when you "considered yourself knowledgeable enough" to state that it is too hard to take a image of a windows disk...

Whatever.
Indeed. I have now twice asked what solutions there are to manage a Linux network, and have got nothing back.. I could list at least 20 different products for a windows network.

This is like tiring to talk to a MAC user..

Me: "Why do you use MACs?"
User: "They are better for graphics"
Me: "Why?"
User "Just because the are"
Me: "Do you do any graphics"
User: "No"
Me: "So why do you use a MAC"
User: "Whatever".

I kid you not, that is a real conversation I had. Even if MACs where better, I would not know as no one yet has been able to tell me why.

This is one of the situations that sh%ts me about people. I have never said that Linux is better or worse then any other OS, if fact I have given examples myself where I use it because it IS better. Yet what I thought was a conversation about the pros\cons of different OS has turned into a teenage girl, facebook type, argument because you don't agree with my opinion.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
This is like tiring to talk to a MAC user..

Me: "Why do you use MACs?"
User: "They are better for graphics"
Me: "Why?"
User "Just because the are"
Me: "Do you do any graphics"
User: "No"
Me: "So why do you use a MAC"
User: "Whatever".

I kid you not, that is a real conversation I had. Even if MACs where better, I would not know as no one yet has been able to tell me why.

Welcome to my world but with mechanical/technical/electrical related stuff. :(

Everyone loves to be a brand name snob about something yet very very few can even back it up when confronted in a rational real life applications scenario.

myglaren

Joined Aug 27, 2016
I had to learn how to fix my windows because I was to poor to pay some one to fix for me .. So over the years I have grown very fond of Windows and when a problem hits I can always find the answer online .. If it gets to bad the drive gets Darik's boot and nuke treatment and fresh install and the system is back up a couple hours later..I always wanted to try Mac or other operating systems but would have a hard time learning the new system.. Plus I have alot people telling me if I still game to stay with windows..

Always has been but crap is starting to come out more and more..
How about twenty minutes for Linux?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Take a look at what your professional colleagues think about the issue at the links I offered in posts #33 and #102 of this thread.

A useful distinction is that Macs these days are PCs. The hardware can easily be set to triple boot OS X, Windows and Linux, whatever you like. So today when you talk about the experience of using "a Mac", you need to specify whether you mean the narrow definition of an Apple computer hardware running OS X, or the broader hardware experience. A lot of software developers in particular make great use of the multi-OS capability.

Booting OS X on a Windows machine – making a Hackintosh – used to be a popular challenge but you don't hear a lot about it these days. I did it a couple times but always with end-stage PC's.

markdem

Joined Jul 31, 2013
Take a look at what your professional colleagues think about the issue at the links I offered in posts #33 and #102 of this thread.

A useful distinction is that Macs these days are PCs. The hardware can easily be set to triple boot OS X, Windows and Linux, whatever you like. So today when you talk about the experience of using "a Mac", you need to specify whether you mean the narrow definition of an Apple computer hardware running OS X, or the broader hardware experience. A lot of software developers in particular make great use of the multi-OS capability.

Booting OS X on a Windows machine – making a Hackintosh – used to be a popular challenge but you don't hear a lot about it these days. I did it a couple times but always with end-stage PC's.
Agree 100%. I never fathomed why anyone would pay 2-3 times extra for a Mac and then install a different OS on it. Gone are the days of PowerPC macs, which is where the "Better for graphics" thing came from.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Macs have never been at that much of a premium when the full capabilities were taken into account. But it's always been true that Apple doesn't compete at the low end, so people always end up comparing a low end PC to a typical Mac. Apples and oranges.

These days, study after study shows that Macs are actually cheaper than a comparable machine from another supplier. Tough to beat their buying power.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Macs have never been at that much of a premium when the full capabilities were taken into account. But it's always been true that Apple doesn't compete at the low end, so people always end up comparing a low end PC to a typical Mac. Apples and oranges.

These days, study after study shows that Macs are actually cheaper than a comparable machine from another supplier. Tough to beat their buying power.
Do you have any links to these studies and in what application??