Like it or not, Linux has taken over

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
howdy

<quote>Not hard at all; here you go...

wbAdmin start backup -backuptarget:<drive or UNC> -include::<drive or UNC> -allcritical -quiet

Nice and easy. Using a UNC path I can take a image of a remote PC.
Honest question, how does dd handle that? </quote>

scp <file> <username>@<IP address or hostname>:<Destination>

<quote>Note: Apache runs on Windows but IIS does not on Linux)</quote>

nor does it need it.

i suppose personal preference is the judge here, i scrapped the last windows server here in 2003 because it could not do what a linux server could do easily. iis wasn't really the issue, security was.
it just couldn't do iptables....

joeyd999 and i have 'different' views on how we use the OS but what we do have in common is linux.

just like some here don't like any version on windows past (insert your preference here - 2,3,3.1,95,98,nt,2000,xp,7,8,8.1,10.....)

as far as i'm concerned, if the product works for you, use it. i'm not forcing my opinion on anyone but i do get a little ruffled when there are errors in peoples statements, hence this reply.
personally i believe a forum is supposed to be a place where people 'share' idea's and facts.

<quote>Supercomputers? There is no Microsoft product that runs on a supercomputer (depending on what you are talking about), therefore can't be compared. It is like saying electric motors are crap because no rockets use them.</quote>

quoting - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux - 'Linux is also the leading operating system on servers and other big iron systems such as mainframe computers and virtually all fastest supercomputers'

i've not seen a supercomputer so can't comment on that.

<quote>Phones. This has nothing to do with the OS. Most users would not even know what OS runs on there phone. Android is not popular because it is better, it is popular because most people can't think for themselves and use whatever the flavour of the month is (blackberry anyone?).</quote>

funny about that, downunder, you have either apple or android, windows phones don't even cut the cake, this blackberry you mention, they still in business? i thought they were trying to sell electric motors to nasa? :)
as for i-whatevers, its a well designed product with an equally matched price to go with it, same goes with software/applications - the price tag.

<quote>Good work, but how many times do you need to administer, audit, update, backup or do anything to more then your handful of computers?
How many times have you had KPMG coming around to your workplace asking for proof of compliance?

Honest question, what management software is there available for Linux, or MAC for that matter?<quote>

i can't speak for apple products, i don't have any

kpmg? who are they?

and yes, it does log everything by default. didn't you know that linux has always been multitasking/multiuser?

Not tiring to argue with your decision to use Linux, not even saying it is better\worse then Windows. Just saying that in enterprise environments (1000+ users) there is nothing that even comes close to Windows form the point of view of a admin.
windows workstations are still the norm, one of my clients 300 pc's, 1/2 linux, 1/2 windows, linux server.

there are specific enterprise distributions of linux that can handle 1000, 10000, 100000 users easily. SMB's, win servers would be ok and that's all i would look at.
and as far as i'm aware, there are no limits to the amount of user even in the basic server editions.

greetings from downunder[/QUOTE]

edit: stuffed the quote formatting :/

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'll make my point again. I don't see how you can claim an OS has "taken over" anything when it has taken decades to get it to where it's good enough that you can give it away for free. Big whoop.

I'm more impressed by what OS people actually prefer and will pay for because of its advantages. Of course I'm a Mac user.
http://www.itbusiness.ca/news/os-po...satisfactory-apples-el-capitan-the-best/66720

Now, if you want to say Unix has "taken over", I'd have to concede. Works for me.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Anyone know anything about using LinuxCNC for controlling custom 4 axis CNC machines?

It looks like something I would be interested in playing with assuming it can handle importing drawings from Autocad and such similar drawing programs.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I'll make my point again. I don't see how you can claim an OS has "taken over" anything when it has taken decades to get it to where it's good enough that you can give it away for free. Big whoop.

I'm more impressed by what OS people actually prefer and will pay for because of its advantages. Of course I'm a Mac user.
http://www.itbusiness.ca/news/os-po...satisfactory-apples-el-capitan-the-best/66720

Now, if you want to say Unix has "taken over", I'd have to concede. Works for me.
Considering there is little difference between BSD Unix and Linux save for the codebase and licensing, then I can agree with the modified statement, "Unix-like systems have taken over." But, I believe there are more Linux installations these days than Unix.

Android has taken a similar approach to Apple: start with a *nix kernel and build a custom user experience on top of it.

I admire Apple's approach. I just can't bring myself to exist within the walled garden that comes with it.

I tried to Bluetooth-transfer a file from iOS to Android two days ago. Apple will not let you. Stupid.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I used to transfer photos over bluetooth to my daughter's cheap Samsung phone, so I'm surprised it wouldn't still work. I have to admit I haven't tried it lately.

But yes there is a wall. For most users that's an asset. As a developer, I can put an app on my iPhone to do almost anything I want, so I'm less walled in. Still, I can only do what the system allows. Can't override security, use excessive power in the background, that sort of stuff.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Let us know when Torvalds/Stallman can match Bill's 78.6 billion USD.
As of today:

Microsoft Market Cap: 453.92B
Google Market Cap: 536.06B
Apple Market Cap: 573.79B

As for Bill Gates: a) that is "old" money; b) I thought those on this site generally thought it was "bad" for such wealth to be held by a single individual. You know, the .000001%ers

Considering there is little difference between BSD Unix and Linux save for the codebase and licensing, then I can agree with the modified statement, "Unix-like systems have taken over." But, I believe there are more Linux installations these days than Unix.
You cant really compare linux distros against UNIX environments because like previous posts stated those UNIX systems are found on servers and scientific machines. If you want to suggest that "linux is taking over" then choose your field and then compare OS's. For example, in the home user field linux is one of the smallest OS percentages (2.8%) with windows topping at least 85%.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

Compare like for like, please.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I used to transfer photos over bluetooth to my daughter's cheap Samsung phone, so I'm surprised it wouldn't still work. I have to admit I haven't tried it lately.
If it is possible, and you can figure out how to do it, I'd sure like to know!

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
howdy

<quote>Not hard at all; here you go...

wbAdmin start backup -backuptarget:<drive or UNC> -include::<drive or UNC> -allcritical -quiet

Nice and easy. Using a UNC path I can take a image of a remote PC.
Honest question, how does dd handle that? </quote>

scp <file> <username>@<IP address or hostname>:<Destination>

<quote>Note: Apache runs on Windows but IIS does not on Linux)</quote>

nor does it need it.

i suppose personal preference is the judge here, i scrapped the last windows server here in 2003 because it could not do what a linux server could do easily. iis wasn't really the issue, security was.
it just couldn't do iptables....

joeyd999 and i have 'different' views on how we use the OS but what we do have in common is linux.

just like some here don't like any version on windows past (insert your preference here - 2,3,3.1,95,98,nt,2000,xp,7,8,8.1,10.....)

as far as i'm concerned, if the product works for you, use it. i'm not forcing my opinion on anyone but i do get a little ruffled when there are errors in peoples statements, hence this reply.
personally i believe a forum is supposed to be a place where people 'share' idea's and facts.

<quote>Supercomputers? There is no Microsoft product that runs on a supercomputer (depending on what you are talking about), therefore can't be compared. It is like saying electric motors are crap because no rockets use them.</quote>

quoting - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux - 'Linux is also the leading operating system on servers and other big iron systems such as mainframe computers and virtually all fastest supercomputers'

i've not seen a supercomputer so can't comment on that.

<quote>Phones. This has nothing to do with the OS. Most users would not even know what OS runs on there phone. Android is not popular because it is better, it is popular because most people can't think for themselves and use whatever the flavour of the month is (blackberry anyone?).</quote>

funny about that, downunder, you have either apple or android, windows phones don't even cut the cake, this blackberry you mention, they still in business? i thought they were trying to sell electric motors to nasa? :)
as for i-whatevers, its a well designed product with an equally matched price to go with it, same goes with software/applications - the price tag.

<quote>Good work, but how many times do you need to administer, audit, update, backup or do anything to more then your handful of computers?
How many times have you had KPMG coming around to your workplace asking for proof of compliance?

Honest question, what management software is there available for Linux, or MAC for that matter?<quote>

i can't speak for apple products, i don't have any

kpmg? who are they?

and yes, it does log everything by default. didn't you know that linux has always been multitasking/multiuser?

windows workstations are still the norm, one of my clients 300 pc's, 1/2 linux, 1/2 windows, linux server.

there are specific enterprise distributions of linux that can handle 1000, 10000, 100000 users easily. SMB's, win servers would be ok and that's all i would look at.
and as far as i'm aware, there are no limits to the amount of user even in the basic server editions.

greetings from downunder
edit: stuffed the quote formatting :/[/QUOTE]

Fix you quote tags! I can't follow this!

*My edit*: You quote tags even messed up my reply!

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Good work, but how many times do you need to administer, audit, update, backup or do anything to more then your handful of computers?

Honest question, what management software is there available for Linux, or MAC for that matter?

Not tiring to argue with your decision to use Linux, not even saying it is better\worse then Windows. Just saying that in enterprise environments (1000+ users) there is nothing that even comes close to Windows form the point of view of a admin.
https://puppet.com/

What do you think CERN uses for their computing infrastructure?

http://linux.web.cern.ch/linux/scientific.shtml
.. in numbers
As of March 2009 around 36000 systems run Scientific Linux (SL), around 14000 systems run Scientific Linux CERN (SLC).

Above includes only systems updating regularily from either SL or SLC main distribution servers.
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/so...ind-cern-the-hunt-for-the-higgs-boson-1119595

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
What are the odds of that happening? With only 114,000 Microsoft employees, I would have expected to see someone you played pool with show up in that photo too.
Didn't really expect anyone to be in there. Of course, I didn't know the "bill gates" of Linux either. I only recognized the Linux penguin in that picture.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Anyone know anything about using LinuxCNC for controlling custom 4 axis CNC machines?

It looks like something I would be interested in playing with assuming it can handle importing drawings from Autocad and such similar drawing programs.
Although having been in the CNC retro-fit and design for a number of years I have not actually implemented a machine with it but have looked at as it has the advantage over Mach offering a real time system needed for CNC, the thing that would attract me is the ability to use motion cards, I have designed around the Galil Motion products, unfortunately no one has written in a way to integrate these particular cards into Linux front end HMI.
It does import G-code file but AFAIK you need an outboard CAD-CAM program to produce the G code.
There is quite a following in the CNCzone forums where more info can be gained.
It will control up to 9 axis evidentally.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LinuxCNC
Max.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Although having been in the CNC retro-fit and design for a number of years I have not actually implemented a machine with it but have looked at as it has the advantage over Mach offering a real time system needed for CNC, the thing that would attract me is the ability to use motion cards, I have designed around the Galil Motion products, unfortunately no one has written in a way to integrate these particular cards into Linux front end HMI.
It does import G-code file but AFAIK you need an outboard CAD-CAM program to produce the G code.
There is quite a following in the CNCzone forums where more info can be gained.
It will control up to 9 axis evidentally.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LinuxCNC
Max.

Yea it's got me scratching my chin with interest at this point being it can handle multi axis operation with one axis being dedicated to rotation.

I would like to get into carving wind generator blades out of wood being every single one I have bought online that suposedly professionally made commercial grade and good for 20 years has been nothing but crap that starts to come apart within a few months, and having software that can handle X,Y,A machine operation so I can make my own out of good old fashioned well proven wood would be perfect.

As for the CNC machinist forums I tend to stay away. To many of those guys are way too anal about what machines and what name of tooling/measuring devices is being used for my tastes. :(