Like it or not, Linux has taken over

hrs

Joined Jun 13, 2014
Very funny, however post #51 is incorrect. Also, while I agree that Windows ... suboptimal, you still haven't explained how Android is any better or even remotely a replacement.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Very funny, however post #51 is incorrect. Also, while I agree that Windows ... suboptimal, you still haven't explained how Android is any better or even remotely a replacement.
Never said it was -- on the desktop. But Android is a far better OS on mobile devices than Windows mobile.

And I could name 100 different Linux distributions that are far better than any version of Windows on the desktop.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
It's never ceased to amaze me that what should be standard utilities in any disk operating system usually require 3rd party tools in Windows.

In Linux, if I want to image my hard drive, I just type:

Code:
dd if=/dev/sda of=somefile.img
If I want to copy an image back to the drive, I just type:

Code:
dd if=somefile.img of=/dev/sda
If I want to "randomized" the contents of the drive, I just type:

Code:
dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sda
Why should this be so hard on Windows? It's like you guys go out of your way to torture yourselves.

hmmm, yeah, i tried linux MANY times. installing it, removing it, formatting partitions and cloning HDD images is ALL i have EVER done with it... too bad it cant do anything else...

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
no time...

While most of you have labored in the dark ages of Windows, Linux has been quietly taking over.

I look forward to the day when Redmond is just a city in Washington.
this was the original post and it suggested desktop use (that is what Windows is mainly used for). and in this sector Linux has up to some 2% market share.
as for microwaves, print servers, routers, mobile phones etc. sure they may run Linux but - who cares? how often one uses dd to duplicate memory on one of them? i never needed to do so...

ok just saw your post that you do actually work with PIC micro controllers. so your tool chain is simple, one can use any text editor, C compiler and that's about it. workplace for most other people looks very different. even or those that work in tech sector such as industrial automation, very few things are actually doable without Windows because apparently nobody makes commercial grade software for anything else. It took 20 years to get office on Linux. It will probably take many more to get something like RSLogix, Step7, etc.

not sure why Redmond is not supposed to be known for MS... afraid of... a bit of competition!? sounds like MS claiming that Linux is cancer....

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
just saw your post that you do actually work with PIC micro controllers. so your tool chain is simple,
Dude...nuts to bolts product development (in addition to running a business): hardware, software, firmware, injection molds, die casts, sheet metal, artwork, LCDs, PCBs. You name it. I do it.