Like it or not, Linux has taken over

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Microsoft has been giving its users plenty of reasons to be mad at them... most of us stick to Windows simply because we know nothing else. Just like birds that stay in their cages even if the gates are left wide open.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
I installed Linux on ALL of my machines. Then I realised that A) I had to give up 90% of my software because my computers do not have the power to run a virtual machine (also defeats the point of having linux) and B) around 30% of my software would not work under wine.

Plus, proper driver support (such as AMD overdrive) is not as good or does not exist.

Now I only run windows 7 (and XP)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Yes, you can grow a sizable market share when your product is reverse-engineered from an existing product and you give your product away for free.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
But what good is that, if the Windows programs aren't ported over to Linux? :confused:
And I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future.
I get your point... I wonder, how much time would it take an average geek like most of us here to learn Linux and be as proficient at it as with Windows/DOS?

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Like it or not, Linux has taken over
Oh! I like it just fine:)! Now I'm saying ppl can just use a VM for their unported sftwe in the meantime while vendors get with the future:)!

I actually played around with one of the Unix P.C.'s beautiful machine but no software for it!
Maxheadroom that doesn't make sense?:confused: If you like the hardware but don't like Unix why not just install another OS? Is there software/hardware compatibility issues with doing that?

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Maxheadroom that doesn't make sense?:confused: If you like the hardware but don't like Unix why not just install another OS? Is there software/hardware compatibility issues with doing that?
That was well over two decades ago, I just reviewed the P.C. for someone that was bringing them in, at that time the graphics it had and the potential seemed to be way ahead of what the MSDOS P.C.'s had at that time.
I wasn't about to reverse engineer them for another system.
Max.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Not here it hasn't. I found it a right pain to use.
The problem is that most of the programs I use only run on Windows.
Using a Windows emulator in Linux to run those programs rather defeats the purpose.
I installed Linux on ALL of my machines. Then I realised that A) I had to give up 90% of my software because my computers do not have the power to run a virtual machine (also defeats the point of having linux) and B) around 30% of my software would not work under wine.

Plus, proper driver support (such as AMD overdrive) is not as good or does not exist.

Now I only run windows 7 (and XP)
But what good is that, if the Windows programs aren't ported over to Linux? :confused:
And I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future.
I get your point... I wonder, how much time would it take an average geek like most of us here to learn Linux and be as proficient at it as with Windows/DOS?
I must be doing something wrong. For 14 years I've been running an engineering/manufacturing business on Linux. It's installed on all my desktops and laptops. I use it for product development from the ground up, nuts to bolts. I email, surf, and play on Linux.

I have no problem admitting that there are exactly *three* pieces of software that I require (mostly for legacy purposes) that run only on Windows, and I run them on a VirtualBox VM running XP. One of those is MPLAB which is no longer supported, so, when I finally decide to make the switch to MPLABX it'll be only 2.

Many of you surprise me when you say things like "it's too hard". Funny, I feel exactly the same when I try to use any Windows beyond XP. But then again, I have absolutely no interest anymore in knowing anything about Windows, so I understand the feeling.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Major difference between Linux and Windows

Windows : I can do just about EVERYTHING with a mouse pointer
Linux: I gotta know commands and paths etc. I don't have the time to learn.

I also feel that windows is also better as it is driven from a consumer point of view where it will only sell if it's good. For example, windows 10, 8 and vista are just rubbish which is why 7 and XP work so well.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The current versions of linux can also do almost anything with the mouse.
I am using OpenSuse tumbleweed and in there you have a control center called YaST.
In there you have all kinds of setting controls for hardware and software.
I even think that some are even more user friendly than those of windows.

Bertus

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
The current versions of linux can also do almost anything with the mouse.
I am using OpenSuse tumbleweed and in there you have a control center called yeast.
So when your control center acts up your computer has a 'yeast infection'? o_O

Cripes they have some awful names for their stuff and it's about 90% of the driving force behind my not wanting to switch over just like with so many other products in the world today.:(

Maybe it does work well but, dang, sometimes the name really does just ruin somethings ability to be taken serious. :rolleyes: