"Like" comment.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Instead of just posting who "likes" a comment, I suggest giving the liker, the one line space after his name for a short comment. Say 40-60 characters.

What do you all think?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
IMHO It is not useless, it allows feedback without the formality of a post.

Interesting idea. This would create something intermediate between the like and a post. The problem I can imagine, if done in the current facebook style is branching of the thread which might raise the threads entropy somewhat.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I think XenForo already has enhanced LIKE buttons that can be implemented that gets 90% of what the OP is trying to get to (I think)

Dislike
Agree
Disagree
More info
Funny

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I think XenForo already has enhanced LIKE buttons that can be implemented that gets 90% of what the OP is trying to get to (I think)

Dislike
Agree
Disagree
More info
Funny
Like they do over at ETO. Personally the "agree", "disagree" and "funny" buttons should be the ones available, not the "like" button.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
It seems to me that all of our treads are multifaceted. Even a simple question with a simple replied will usually need further explanation. A large portion of our replies have multiple points.

When you give someone a "like", the only one who knows what was "liked", is the liker, not the likee or the other thread participators.

If we can add a short comment to clarify the like, I believe it could help concentralize the thread.

Let's say that Dick responds to a question with 3 points.

After I like Dick's post and after is says that BR-549 likes this, I could say "agree with point 1, but point 2 depends on polarity." Or some such thing, so the poster(and everyone else) knows what point or idea was liked. And it might show Dick, that I am not following his logic. This tells Dick that I liked his post for the wrong reason. I have missed his point somewhere. Others might have missed that point also.

It helps to show what avenue the solution is taking. It also shows mis-understanding.

I don't believe there is a downside to it. And to the site bean counters, I say, it will encourage MORE posts. I don't believe like comments will replace any postings.

I have seen this used on other forums, and I believe that it clarifies the thread.

And 10-4 on the "That deserves a cold beer."

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The "post reply" button works well when you "like a post" yet disagree with a single point in the posting. Like to me is synonymous to a number of responses, concurring, liking, agreement, et al.

Otherwise we would have alot of single word postings expressing varying degrees of concurrance.

On the bright side, or is it the dark side, the posting numbers would increase and there would be more members in the 10k plus club.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
We also need buttons for:
10-4
Agree, but with one reservation
Disagree, but with one extenuation
Agree, but with a few reservations
Disagree, but with a few extenuations
Tend to agree, but need more time to consider alternatives
I'll select something appropriate after I Google a bit
Let's gang up on this guy because he's new
I tend to like this, but I suspect the poster isn't sincere
I really like the post, but not for the reasons you might think
I don't like the post, but I am too embarassed to explain why
I will post a reply after I log out and log back in as my alter ego.
I have had a few drinks, but still have enough sense about me to avoid posting what I typed and then deleted, so I'll just click this instead
etc.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Personally I would prefer an "agree" button to the "like" button. It communicates to the TS that another member agrees with the offered approach or solution. That may not mean much to many new members but it would mean a lot to anyone that hangs around here long.

It seems to me the "like" button is more about informal communication and comraderie and such. It's maybe more useful in the off topic areas, when you like a picture or a joke. But it doesn't seem to carry the same weight as "I agree".

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Personally I would prefer an "agree" button to the "like" button. It communicates to the TS that another member agrees with the offered approach or solution. That may not mean much to many new members but it would mean a lot to anyone that hangs around here long.

It seems to me the "like" button is more about informal communication and comraderie and such. It's maybe more useful in the off topic areas, when you like a picture or a joke. But it doesn't seem to carry the same weight as "I agree".
I think the "like" button should be used by the OP to indicate the post was helpful. The "agree" button should be , as you suggest, for other members to "second the opinion".

Further to this, inasmuch as off-topic posts aren't counted -- perhaps feedback points garnered by off-topic posts should be 'scored' separately so as to avoid deceptively 'favorable' 'post count' to 'like' ratios?

Best regards
HP