"Like" button?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by #12, Sep 19, 2014.

Thread Starter Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I wish you could change that, "Like" button back to, "Thanks". It makes more sense that way.

Edit: While I'm complaining, how about re-installing the option to collapse a section of the forums on the Forum page. I almost never go in the Software section and collapsing that makes the whole Forum page fit on my screen properly.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  2. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    It's zuckerbergish, a new language.

you are somehow connected to it = Like. You dont like = close and say nothing.
    just any random people = friends (or people you MAY know).
    Dont forget: Learn more. How to navigate the touchpad very precisely so you close the adverts on skype on your small netbook to see more contacts and NOT open a browser window and NOT see the pointless ad the 20th time.

How about "Reconnect to google" from your hotmail-webmail (given you never linked to google, and if you click it, it does not work, but it shows up again from time to time).

It's just a new approach to language, grammar, doing things, life as such.

Back some 20 years ago "Like" was quite intimate, or could have been, at least.

3. tom_s

Jun 27, 2014
    you took an extra set of 'grumpy' pills this morning? :p

personally agree with thanks as against like though depends on the context of the thread. if your getting a solution, thanks is correct english as against humour which would be liked.

see everything here ok, you not got 27" screen? ;)

4. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I agree, I liked the "thanks" button better than the "like" button. "Like" sounds more like facebook, which I don't care much for.

Xenforo does have an option for post ratings. ETO has implemented some of them, and I think it would be great to have here. The buttons include "Like", "Dislike" (I don't use these very often--I prefer to be more specific), "Informative", "Funny", "Thanks", "Agree", and "Disagree". They seem to work very well.

ratings.png

5. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I think the multitude of meaningless post ratings used at ETO is more in step with the directing of Facebook than one against it.

What's wrong with "like?" If you can't articulate a reason, why change it?

Or more to the point, what value does and should these participant ratings have? Does anyone really think that a like (or thanks, helpful, etc.) to a post in the off-topic forum indicates the poster has any greater veracity or wisdom relative to electronics than someone who posts only in the forums of substance?

If the score doesn't matter, then why is it being kept? No one has yet to answer that simple question.

John

Thread Starter Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Umm..I hadn't thought of this thread as a public opinion poll, but each of you is free to agree or disagree. It's a request to the site owners while they are adapting Xenforo to fit the purposes of the site. It isn't about the number of grumpy pills I had today, it's just suggestions about making things convenient. The site owners can do as they please, but I seem to think they asked for "Feedback and Suggestions". That's why this is posted in the Forum called, "Feedback and Suggestions".

7. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    More than qualifying the author of a certain post, those options would express, how useful it was, gratitude or agreement. To me, "like" means little in the context of this forum, unless the thread's subjects is jokes.

/Edit
    Why not pictures of nice girls as well...

/Edit

8. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    There are 243,522 members of AAC at last count. I hardly think the opinion of one or two is statistically meaningful absent the presentation of ANY data or articulation of purpose.

John

Thread Starter Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Do you mean the purposes I stated, like, making more sense or fitting my viewing screen better? I seem to have lost track of your logic.

10. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Like = 4 characters; Thanks = 6 characters; Helpful = 7 characters

I don't get you point about fitting on your viewing screen. Perhaps you could take the time to show an example?

John

Thread Starter Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Go to this page: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/
    See the section about Software, Microcomputing, and Communications Forum. It contains 4 Forums that I almost never use. The old setup allowed me to collapse that section so the page was shorter and I could see from Chat to Feedback and Suggestions in one glance.

12. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Take "agree", for example. If someone is asking for help, and an answer is posted and several people hit the "agree" button, then the OP now has multiple datapoints suggesting the response is accurate. "Thanks" is just like we used to have--it thanks someone for spending time to do something to help. They are not meaningless unless you, as an individual, give them no meaning. If you think they're meaningless, don't use them, but I for one found them to be useful.

ScottWang and #12 like this.
  13. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    How about presenting some data to support your proposition. Very few OP's (about 1 in 4 or 5) even bother to grade the help they get. (Based on observation at EDABoard). So, how often is the "agree" button used by established members as opposed to "like," something else, or nothing?

This discussion is not about theory or what you want, it is about practice. As you may remember the green squares at ETO were supposed to represent a level of "expertise." When a member with a lot of green squares thanked another member for apost, it added more points to that member's account than if a member with fewer green squares did the thanks. Questionable in theory; a disaster in practice.

Neither your nor anyone here has said what the "score" for thanks, helps, etc., really means. Once that is done, your theory can be tested. Maybe you could start the ball rolling. What does the number of thanks represent and why is that important?

John

14. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    You keep trying to make the "thanks" or "likes" a quantitative measure of a person's overall experience and expertise. However, I am saying that it is a useful qualitative measure of the value of a particular post, not of the member overall. It does not count as reputation of any sort.

As for the green squares at ETO, everyone knew that it had its faults and that was something EM was trying to fix for a while, but eventually decided to abolish them altogether.

15. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Actually, my position is quite the opposite. I have no problem with having a like or thanks button for feedback on a single post; although, I do not see any need for it. I don't think the number of likes a member receives should be summed into a quantitative measure and included in his profile. When that is done, it creates the appearance of an assessment of the member's expertise (See: concurrent thread on that subject).

You say that sum is not quantitative. Then, why do it and include it in our profiles? I say it is quantitative: 300 likes is greater than 200 likes. Apparently, we have a different understanding of the term "quantitative."

Then why is a cumulative score kept for each member? You may also note this tab:
    upload_2014-9-20_7-18-27.png

If "likes" is not quantitative, then how can you have a "most?"

Suggestion: This matter comes up continually on every forum with which I have experience. How about allowing each member to opt out (or opt in) as to whether the likes/helps/etc. are summed for him and presented in his profile?

John

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  16. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I think you're missing my point. I'm saying it should not be used as a quantitative measure of someone's experience level. I'm saying that different types of ratings for individual posts would be useful, showing the accuracy and overall worth of the post itself. I have never looked to see how many "thanks" someone has--I honestly don't care, and don't think it says much about the experience of the member. Granted, if someone has a lot of likes they tend to be well-known members who have proven that they have a lot of experience, but that's beside the point.

I don't care about the number of "thanks" or "likes" someone has on the site (The whole likes count vs. post count has been shot down, and I can understand why; I'm not talking about that anymore). I think having specific ways of rating individual posts would be much better than simply having one non-specific "like" button.

Thread Starter Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I wrote this in another thread but it seems very relevant here.

I have peeked at the statistics and found that nearly everybody (in the high post count range) has 20% to 25% "Thanks" compared to their total post count. In my eyes, this diminishes the value of any alleged reputation being associated with the "Like" count. (Like and Thanks being used interchangeably in this case.)

I like to be thanked, but it seems the number of, "Thanks" is merely a function of society, not competence.

Georacer likes this.
  18. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Absolutely right. I am adding, however, that the number of "likes" or "thanks" on an individual post shows that the post is accurate and has helped people. That's why I like having a "thanks" or "agree" button.

ScottWang and #12 like this.

Thread Starter Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Oh. That makes sense. Thank you.

What people are doing right now is adding a post that basically says, "Agree" and (in English) that's almost the same as, "Like". So...an approval button for individual posts would describe your purpose. I think we have one. I was complaining that, "Like" doesn't serve the same purpose as, "Thanks". I'm beginning to think I was wrong.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  20. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    That's why I was suggesting something like what they have at ETO -- different ratings you can give to a particular post. A "Thanks", an "Agree", and a "Like" are three completely different things, each of which could have its own use on a post. I think it would be much more valuable to have these three options rather than just one "like" button. It would be a lot more specific.

MrChips likes this.