Lighting transformers

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
Hello, while I was looking for some transformers for a PSU build I stumbled upon "lighting transformers" which were fairly cheap, most likely because they are mass produced. To me they look like standard torrid transformers. On label it says "intended for use in halogen lighting only." Is it because they have thermal switch built in?
Specs:
250W
220V/11.5V 50Hz

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Hello, while I was looking for some transformers for a PSU build I stumbled upon "lighting transformers" which were fairly cheap, most likely because they are mass produced. To me they look like standard torrid transformers. On label it says "intended for use in halogen lighting only." Is it because they have thermal switch built in?
Specs:
250W
220V/11.5V 50Hz

Take another photo with the electrical ratings showing, please.

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
This one has more power but the rest is the same. Spec. for 250w
Weight:2.6kg
Height:48mm
Radius:127mm
Eff:95%

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
On label it says "intended for use in halogen lighting only.
Beware language barriers! If 'halogen lighting' indeed refers to 'incandescent's (as one would expect) then all's well and good (i.e. I agree with @joeyd999 {Post #4}) -- On the other hand should said devices be designed as ballasts for metal halide lamps, you may expect them to be current limited (via leakage inductance), to operate at rather high OC EMFs and, perhaps, be wired/wound as 'auto-transformers'...

Best regards and good luck!
HP:)

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Beware language barriers! If 'halogen lighting' indeed refers to 'incandescent's (as one would expect) then all's well and good (i.e. I agree with @joeyd999 {Post #4}) -- On the other hand should said devices be designed as ballasts for metal halide lamps, you may expect them to be current limited (via leakage inductance), to operate at rather high OC EMFs and, perhaps, be wired/wound as 'auto-transformers'...

Best regards and good luck!
Its often referred to as; "low voltage lighting" - so an auto-transformer could potentially be a contradiction in terms.

Toroids probably don't like large voltage transients - so large inductive loads that produce a big fat spark when you break the current, could make you wish you'd included a primary fuse.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Its often referred to as; "low voltage lighting" - so an auto-transformer could potentially be a contradiction in terms.
I agree assuming the intended lamps are indeed incandescents (which, based upon labeling, etc. seems to be the case) -- as opposed to HIDs

Toroids probably don't like large voltage transients
I'll take your word for it - but inasmuch as the 'why of it' escapes me - please explain?:confused::)

Best regards

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
I found the manufactures datasheets. It says that transformer has a thermal switch on the primary winding.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Unfortunately in some instances it is a thermal type fuse and if buried without the ends exposed, it renders the Tfmr useless if and when it blows, if one is lucky the the ends ARE exposed and can be shunted out.
Max.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I agree assuming the intended lamps are indeed incandescents (which, based upon labeling, etc. seems to be the case) -- as opposed to HIDs

I'll take your word for it - but inasmuch as the 'why of it' escapes me - please explain?:confused::)

Best regards
AFAICR: They have less turns per volt than a conventional transformer - therefore; greater voltage stress on the insulation.