Lighting Control

Nexxus

Joined Mar 4, 2014
Worse. Connecting bond to neutral at any place besides the breaker box is both a code and a safety violation because it intentionally connects bond to a current carrying conductor.
But if I have an approved box for the housing doesn't the bond wire be left floating?

Nexxus

Joined Mar 4, 2014
So my thought was that the third wire would be left unconnected because I don't have the switch inside a conductive box.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
But if I have an approved box for the housing doesn't the bond wire be left floating?
Yes. That's why it's confusing. When you arrive at an approved plastic box, the bond wire might find a home on the metal bracket of a wall switch or a duplex receptical, but bolting the bond wire to a plastic box accomplishes nothing. If there is nothing to connect it to, you just put a wire nut on it so it doesn't accidentally touch any power wires.

Last edited:

Nexxus

Joined Mar 4, 2014
Ya that makes sense. Would you recommend putting a blank front plate inside of the plastic box to attach the bond wire to or does a wire nut work just as well?

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
So my thought was that the third wire would be left unconnected because I don't have the switch inside a conductive box.
Do you mean non-conducting, as a plastic box. Then yes leave it unconnected.

If it's a metal box, or it will have a "strap" then connect the equipment grounding conductor (bare wire) to exposed metal parts.

Either directly or with wire nut.