Lighting control with PWM

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by eric_s88, Aug 15, 2013.

1. eric_s88

Thread Starter Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Hi everyone :)

I'm planning to start this project.A circuit that sens the light intensity and decide the pulse width (pwm) to increase or decrease the light of light bulb.

my question : Is is correct to use SSR relay? I mean I want to connect the pwm signal to input of ssr , and connect the output of it to light bulb.

is this device (ssr) valuable to use in this project? :confused:

2. eric_s88

Thread Starter Member

Apr 20, 2011
    is there any idea if using SSR is correct or not ?? :)

3. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    Does the light bulb needs AC or DC power?
    How about the voltage/current of light bulb?

light bulb type.

eric_s88 likes this.
  4. eric_s88

Thread Starter Member

Apr 20, 2011
    the light bulb uses 220V AC power. and its current is about 0.5 amps. a 100 watt

sth like this :

[​IMG]

5. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Nice photo of a bulb.

eric_s88 likes this.
  6. tubeguy

Nov 3, 2012
    +1 terrific photo..

Yes, You can use an AC SSR for dimming the lamp. The trick is to synchronize the control signal to the actual AC wave. You want to trigger the lamp at the same point in every AC cycle.

Earlier is brighter, later is dimmer.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    eric_s88 likes this.
  7. eric_s88

Thread Starter Member

Apr 20, 2011
    thanks for your response , but I didn't get the reason of your trick :-??

I just want to connect the pwm signal (for example with 3Khz fr.) to the input of the ssr , and when the pwm is in high state the light is on, and when its in low state the lamp is off ( its fast enough that human eye cannot recognize it )

am I right ??

and what about the working frequency of ssr ? is it fast enough to handle with a 3Khz signal ?

8. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Why 3KHz?

The SSR can switch at 3KHz but it will not turn off at that rate because of the AC line frequency, 50 or 60Hz.

The SSR will only turn off when the current reduces to zero and this will happen when the AC power crosses zero. Light dimmer circuits work by controlling the phase angle at which the SSR is turned on, not by PWM.

eric_s88 likes this.
  9. eric_s88

Thread Starter Member

Apr 20, 2011
    thanks , so if I want to control the light by pwm signal, whats your suggestion ?

10. tubeguy

Nov 3, 2012
    Eric_s88,

Please don't get stuck on the idea of using PWM for this particular situation. PWM IS the thing when controlling voltage/power for many applications, but not necessary in this case.

Google "How light dimmers work"

Do you already have the PWM signal and must use it? Because, yes, it can be done using that signal with a bit more circuitry :)

eric_s88 likes this.
  11. eric_s88

Thread Starter Member

Apr 20, 2011
    hi tubeguy :)

yes you are right, but this is the thing I have to do.. I have a project with this definition: close-loop pwm control in order to control ambient lighting .. so any idea ? :(

12. eric_s88

Thread Starter Member

Apr 20, 2011
    exactly , this is what, I must do. so do you have any idea to use pwm to control an ac load like a light bulb ?

13. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    eric_s88 likes this.
  14. eric_s88

Thread Starter Member

Apr 20, 2011
    thank you

3KHz was just an example :)

can I use uC and its pwm signal in the circuit you have posted the link ?? :confused:

15. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    You can use the PWM signal to control a photocoupler that drives the diac or triac.
    I have made my own photocoupler using an LED and an LDR.

eric_s88 likes this.
  16. tubeguy

Nov 3, 2012
    I can't do a schematic for a while. Only a minute.

One Idea - just the basic's:

First, you need an isolated sync signal from the AC line. An AC optocopler or AC transformer with diodes for example. Make a ramp signal from this. Feed that in to a comparator.
    Feed the pwn signal through a low pass filter to convert it to a variable DC voltage, then into the other input of the comparator.
    This should make a voltage controlled trigger signal synchronized to the AC line. Then use this signal to trigger the AC SSR.

eric_s88 likes this.
  17. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    eric_s88 likes this.
  18. richard.cs

Mar 3, 2012
    If you want to use PWM rather than phase angle then the simplest way is to full-wave rectify the mains without smoothing and feed the lamp pulsey dc. Not smoothing is important as that would increase the rms voltage the lamp sees.

You can then switch the lamp at kHz with a single n-channel mosfet in the negative side. Note that the negative side is not at earth potential but instead bounces between 0 and -340V relative to earth. This means that you should provide optical or transformer isolation between your PWM source and the mosfet. The only exception is if you treat the whole circuit as live and insulate apropriately, only chose this approach if you really know what you're doing.

An alternative is to put only the mosfet inside the bridge so that the load still sees a.c. For a filament lamp it doesn't really matter which method you use.

eric_s88 likes this.
  19. eric_s88

Thread Starter Member

Apr 20, 2011

thank you all for your replies :)

@to MrChips: is this schematic correct for my work ? dear ScottWang posted this.

can I use it as a dimmer with for example 3Khz PWM signal ?

schematic

[​IMG]

and another question, in this schematic if when pwm signal is low the lapm will be off ?? I mean in this circuit for the turning the TRIAC off, is it enough to turn off the optocoupler ? don't we need any zero-cross detection , right ?

confused :confused:

20. eric_s88

Thread Starter Member

Apr 20, 2011
    according to this link which dear ScottWang posted :
    http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/45035/triac-dimmer-circuit-design-help-resistive-load

we have this :

so pwm is useless :( I'm really confused