Lightening Bolt Kills 323

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I think we should run with the myopia theory. Let's start a GoFundMe.com page and ask insurance companies to help pay for 100,000 pairs of Bambi-sized glasses. "Save a life, buy glasses for deer".

Kidding aside, the Michigan Highway Department was paying for signs that say, "Don't Swerve for Deer". I was told by a MI resident that the signs were installed because a young woman plowed into an on-coming car as she swerved for deer and killed herself, her passenger and a family in another vehicle (head-on collision).
They seem to be able to see the "deer crossing" signs OK........................

It would probably help if the drivers could too.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
While this gal proved herself to be completely clueless, the first part of the call could have actually been part of a call by someone that understands some of the subtleties of deer crossings.

Most deer crossing signs, of course, are placed at locations where experience has shown that deer are more likely to cross the road, particularly if that also happens to be a place were deer crossing the road raises the risk level more than normal.

But in many places the deer crossing sign IS at a place where HUMANS have chosen to encourage deer (or other animals) to cross the road by erecting fencing or planting vegetation such as to funnel them to that section of road. So a person might reasonably call in arguing that the section of road chosen for such a directed-crossing is poorly located. But clearly that is NOT what this gal was thinking!

What particularly caught my attention is her repeated call to combine deer crossings with school crossings? Great idea... NOT! Let's pack these multi-hundred pound, very strong, wild animals that have absolutely zero sense of moderation when it comes to defending themselves from real or perceived threats in amongst a bunch of kids, many of whom think that any deer is just like Bambi and wouldn't it be so cool to run up to it and hug it.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Lightning hazards came up in my 1st yr electrical installation course, we were advised to keep our feet close together when lightning strikes might happen - I got ejected from class for pointing out that women were OK because they have a built in spark gap.
Wonder if the outcome would have been different if you has said that men were at particular risk because they have a built in lightning rod. :D

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
IIRC: the wisecrack was that our balls would light up like a Christmas tree..............
The picture I always had in my mind stems from when I was about six and I climbed up on the bathroom counter and shot the lit 60 W bulb with my water pistol. I always imagined my balls reacting much the same way. Of course, at that age, I couldn't tell the distinction between an explosion and an implosion -- but I don't image the difference is enough to worry about! :D

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
The picture I always had in my mind stems from when I was about six and I climbed up on the bathroom counter and shot the lit 60 W bulb with my water pistol. I always imagined my balls reacting much the same way. Of course, at that age, I couldn't tell the distinction between an explosion and an implosion -- but I don't image the difference is enough to worry about! :D
Spare a thought for the drunk who urinated off a footbridge over a railway with overhead lines...........................

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Kidding aside, the Michigan Highway Department was paying for signs that say, "Don't Swerve for Deer". I was told by a MI resident that the signs were installed because a young woman plowed into an on-coming car as she swerved for deer and killed herself, her passenger and a family in another vehicle (head-on collision).
Well, not just Michigan. I got home today and learned that a local Pittsburgh-area boy (6) was killed today when his mom swerved for a deer, lost control and hit a tree.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/mother-child-hurt-in-serious-accident-on-lower-burrell-road/434832910

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
How did he burn his hand?
It's a saying (actually, a slight variant of the saying as it is usually used) - "The burnt hand teaches best", which is often stated as, "The burnt hand teaches quickest," depending on which makes more sense in the context of use. The usual example is that you can tell a child time and time again not to put their hand on the fireplace when its in use, but some of them will still put their hand on the stove. Once. In that fraction of a second, the point that you might have been trying for months to get across is permanently internalized.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
It's a saying (actually, a slight variant of the saying as it is usually used) - "The burnt hand teaches best", which is often stated as, "The burnt hand teaches quickest," .
I think a burnt willy would teach even quicker..........................and then there's the soles of his feet.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I think a burnt willy would teach even quicker..........................and then there's the soles of his feet.
Which what the whole point -- "If the burned hand teaches quick, then that (as in, the aforementioned "burnt willy") must REALLY get the point across rapidly (i.e., "even quicker")!"

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Maybe, but I leaned the burnt hand principle many decades before you.

I also climbed trees and did not wear body armor to ride a bike.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Maybe, but I leaned the burnt hand principle many decades before you.

I also climbed trees and did not wear body armor to ride a bike.
I took loads of crazy risks - and probably got away with them because one of them wasn't peeing on an electric fence..................

If you're going for a Darwin award - at least do the job properly.